Precision air cart metering discrepancy - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsdavew View Post
2280 tow between mechanical drive, the displayed rate is never correct. Always shows lower than whats being applied.

I believe your sentence above tells you generally what to expect before you run out of seed.

I don’t think that you can achieve high accuracy on seeding rates on high acreage with only the results in a collected sample. I have always used real world calculations and adjusted the cal factor on variable rate air carts, which would be increasing the cal factor by 1% will make the meter turn 1 % slower and cause a 1% lower seed rate.

On a sprocket driven cart you may not have a cal factor shown in the process, it would be easier to simply adjust the scaled weight of the sample. Running sample calibrations over and over again is like dealing a new round of cards leaving you with no simple to define start point.

Last edited by Haystack; 05-06-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Think a stationary rate check is giving the exact number , but pressure up cart and bouncing through field make for different outcome .

BrianTee likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip clutch View Post
Another thing is to check if your leaking air at the lids. That will throw your rate out big time.
yup new lid seals installed this spring to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

So resolved i think... last night after posting and reading joesixpacks reply i counted how many crank revolutions to make .1 hectare. This morning i cranked it out and weighed product times 10 to get rate per acre. Then did a meter cal. Turns out that when the computer calculated the meter cal # it was incorrect. If i calculate the meter cal # based of the targets and product mass and enter it into the display the rate on the display is within a couple kg/ha of what i measured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190506_085655_1557165009557.jpg (1.63 MB, 11 views)
joesixpack and adsinaus like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

So the issue isnt resolved... moved onto canola and things worked out pretty close. Now doing soybeans and not good again. Filled cart and calibrated etc should be good. Went to field did a few rounds looked heavy so got out and checked calibration. Cranked out 1/10th hectare and weighed and got 7.8 kgs, should be 8.7 kept seeding and its working out to about 94kgs/ha. So im looking for ideas as to why when turned by hand i get a low reading and when actually seeding i get a different higher rate??? Its a precision air 2280 cart caseih which is same as flexicoil im told.

Last edited by stsdavew; 05-12-2019 at 08:38 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsdavew View Post
So the issue isnt resolved... moved onto canola and things worked out pretty close. Now doing soybeans and not good again. Filled cart and calibrated etc should be good. Went to field did a few rounds looked heavy so got out and checked calibration. Cranked out 1/10th hectare and weighed and got 7.8 kgs, should be 8.7 kept seeding and its working out to about 94kgs/ha. So im looking for ideas as to why when turned by hand i get a low reading and when actually seeding i get a different higher rate??? Its a precision air 2280 cart caseih which is same as flexicoil im told.

We have always found that doing a stationary crank and weigh only gives a general idea of the rate. Go seeding and calculate area seeded by weight used and it usually comes out up to 10% higher or lower.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post

We have always found that doing a stationary crank and weigh only gives a general idea of the rate. Go seeding and calculate area seeded by weight used and it usually comes out up to 10% higher or lower.
So what do you do? Is calibrating while driving around more accurate?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I've never found static calibrating to be near as accurate as doing it at your average sowing speed.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
We measure out a 200 foot run and calibrate it that way. Seems to be pretty much bang on unless the product being put down changes a bit from load to load.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Can't understand as we have had two flexicoil seeders ( first was a full mechanical drive) and now a 5000 with a 2320 tank and the metering was always bang on from setting the meters . Only problem we had with the mechanical one was the one way sprags had gotten loose and product delivery at canola rates was sporadic . Don't you have to crank the handle a certain number of times to get a tenth of an acre to calibrate the rollers ? I remember that on the geardrive cart that there was some discrepancy with the sprockets due to the cultivator size that we had to take into account . I think we had to first figure out how far we had to drive to get a tenth of an acre then count the turns and use that to calibrate the rollers and then we had to adjust the acre / speed calibration to get that right .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page