Concord Air Drill Depths - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Concord Air Drill Depths

Hey everyone I am just curious what people with the concord drills are using for ram stops while seeding wheat? Colour wise thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
There are so many colour combinations and field conditions that what I may use could be so far off the right depth for you. Even tire pressure and side wall depth can influence it as can opener choice. If your new to concords keep in mind that if mud is sticking to the packer tires that’s going to raise the rear up some. Mine had markers on it and being a five section the extra weight hanging on the side would tip the outer section slightly and therefore lift the outer corner of the inner section. Great seeders but need time to fine tune them.

Windmillfarms likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last gen farmer View Post
There are so many colour combinations and field conditions that what I may use could be so far off the right depth for you. Even tire pressure and side wall depth can influence it as can opener choice. If your new to concords keep in mind that if mud is sticking to the packer tires thatís going to raise the rear up some. Mine had markers on it and being a five section the extra weight hanging on the side would tip the outer section slightly and therefore lift the outer corner of the inner section. Great seeders but need time to fine tune them.
Hate our concord for that reason its absolutely junk, but when come harvest time and crop yields good, i wonder why we own a high maintenance planter lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've been learning the Concord way the last few years in wheat, it's a process. Have done a lot of digging up of plants and trying to get the drill to run level. The best and healthiest plants always seem to be 1-1.5" deep so shoot for that. Any deeper and the plants are delayed and struggle to come up, any shallower and the seedbed dries out until I get a rain.

You are supposed to get the center rear section set first since it has no adjustment other than the ram stops and then adjust the rest of the drill to match. If you didn't already know you have to use the same depth stops on all the rams except its important to also note that the wings take an extra stop that is black I believe. The concord is kind of a blunt instrument but can do a good job. I say that because even though I am shooting for 1.5", some seed ends up 3" deep and some barely gets in the ground. I had to force myself to seed shallower than I thought was necessary. Someone told me once if you're not finding seed on the surface you're too deep. I put it in the ground and pray for a rain, that really evens out a stand . Get yourself a nice hand trowel (I have one with inch markings on it) and get used to digging behind the drill.

Should note that all this is for my conditions and yours may vary. Always do some investigating after the crop emerges and take some notes on how the drill is performing and where you need to make adjustments.

https://www.amazon.com/BKID-Strong-A.../dp/B07F873XSF

Last edited by Slewis; 05-14-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Huge difference with what kind of fall tillage you do. Or when you till in fall, how deep you go. My brother cultivates a lot deeper in fall than I do and we always have to change setting from him to me for the same crop. Only way to know is to do as previous suggestions. Stop and dig.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancut View Post
Huge difference with what kind of fall tillage you do. Or when you till in fall, how deep you go. My brother cultivates a lot deeper in fall than I do and we always have to change setting from him to me for the same crop. Only way to know is to do as previous suggestions. Stop and dig.
This is accurate when we switch from fields with different fall work we have to reset machine almost.
Thing we found is when its wet we raise the front by 1 turn, when dry we shim the wheels more and increase packing force
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:23 AM

Windmill, what do you mean by shim the wheels more and increase packing force?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post
Windmill, what do you mean by shim the wheels more and increase packing force?
Put like a small steel plate inbetween the shank assembly and the frame so it lowers the shovel more so it seeds deeper,
Incresing packing pressure we put more air in the tires go from 10psi up to 40 makes a big difference we found.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 AM

Interesting, you're the first person I've heard mention that but it makes sense increasing the pressure. I know the book calls for going low psi to get the tires to flex and shed mud. In my clay soil it seems like I end up with a lot of lumps, I'm gonna try your high psi idea this fall.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 PM

When we seed in mud and he packers ball u we lower the psi, but if they hardly pick anything up we make them harder so theynpack the seed better into the soil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page