Seeding out oats - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Seeding out oats

I'll have about 75ish bushels of oats left over. I think I'll seed them out. I'm just curious if i should drop my seeding rate or is 260ish lbs/ac ok? Any thoughts or experiences appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't seed them that high. what your doing is seeding them at 7.6 bushels an acre. that is way to high. I seed mine at 3.15 bushels an ace and I would seed them comfortable at 2.5 bu an acre. I have seen trails at 1.75 bu acre yield just as well as 3 bushel. Seeding to heavy will reduce your bushel weight which is very important in the food market. You will also have possible lodging and poor yield. Better to put the extra oats in a mini bulk bag and save for next year. PATERSON GRAIN has done seeding rate trails in conjunction with General Mills At the Winnipeg terminal.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Barn
seeding at 3 bu/acre is quite heavy, depending on emergence it can go down to 2 bu/ acre ...

260 pounds per acre is WAY too heavy, more than twice the recommended,, is the emergence that poor ??

old school used to be 3 bu/acre at 70% - 80% germination / emergence

regards, warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
We sow them at 2 bush/acre. The seed we sowed this year was 48 lbs so put them on at 96 lbs to the acre. I would just keep the seed.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Old school is seeding by the bushel and not by tkw. Obviously that’s too high but we had to seed 4bu last year because of a seed lot with huge seed.
bfl2008, garyfunk and SWMan like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree it's too high. We seed at 130lbs this year. We have found a little extra seed in cereals is good for our farm. I was just curious to see if seeding out another 75 bu would be a screw up or not. If anyone had tried it before.
Thanks guys
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:43 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4486 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
seed lot with huge seed.
What mg seed weight was it?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Heavier the seed the more you have to put down. We have 47 lbs per bushel seed we seeded at 146lbs or 4 bushel using a 34 lbs per bushel.
We all should go with a seeds per lbs like soybean or corn. You know what I mean.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I oopsied on hrs and put a bunch on at 75-80 lbs. Was shooting for 105 lbs and used wrong calibration number on a 1900 cart. At least germ was 92%. Too lazy to roll out a sample. Made sure on my oats to calibrate though. Seeding them at 90 lbs cause bushel wt around 45 lbs. I wonder how my hrs will do if it’ll stool enough. I had a similar oops because of a mechanical problem and seeded about the same or less but it was a dry year. Yield was average for the year but wondering in better conditions how it would fare.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I had a first calibration miscalculation last year that resulted in about 40a of HRS seeded at about 240lbs/a - was supposed to be 120. That part of crop looked better than the rest even though we were very dry. I did not measure it or think that it was significant yield benefit, but it definitely matured quicker. All the HRS was very high protein and likely nicest wheat we have ever raised. In thinking that we will be hotter, drier than many would like again and I have my own seed that is worth less now, have bumped up seeding rates on all cereals and even have some interesting ones with peas as well. I think concern would be if get too much moisture and it lodges I have 10acres of hulless oats where ran out tank as night of big snowstorm and wanted to switch over and get some wheat seeded. This went on at over 200lbs/a. Guess if you like filling/storing tote bags you should always be able to get rid of seed oats, but I would not be too concerned about big rate on small amount of acres.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in