Bourgault XTC Center Section Shallow - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Bourgault XTC Center Section Shallow

I'm just wondering if anyone has trouble with the center shanks seeding shallower than the rest of the drill on their XTC's? Mine has since new and its frustrating. We have to go 2 notches deeper on the packing wheel adjustment just to get close to the rest of the drill. It happens across 90% of the center section so not just in the tire tracks. Run packing pressure anywhere fro 1250-1750 and doesn't make any difference. Wing down-pressure is right in the middle of the green on the gauge and being an XTC minor frame height differences should have no baring on opener depth anyways. Thoughts or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletimeoperator View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone has trouble with the center shanks seeding shallower than the rest of the drill on their XTC's? Mine has since new and its frustrating. We have to go 2 notches deeper on the packing wheel adjustment just to get close to the rest of the drill. It happens across 90% of the center section so not just in the tire tracks. Run packing pressure anywhere fro 1250-1750 and doesn't make any difference. Wing down-pressure is right in the middle of the green on the gauge and being an XTC minor frame height differences should have no baring on opener depth anyways. Thoughts or ideas?
What year? Does it have the updated depth adjuster casting?

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yes. Our 2016 is the same way. Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2” shallower at the center section. Doesn’t make any sense and we can’t figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
I don’t find that with either of our drills. But, I will have to ask a neighbour about his new drill this year. I was told just before seeding, dealer thought the frame may have not been levelled during set up, and they unhooked tank and put it in shop and worked on it. Didn’t make sense to me, will have to ask him myself.
You guys both have high float ? MRB? Tow behind ? It really makes no sense.

Brent.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:39 AM

Yep 2016 84’ high float, MRB, tow behind. As far as I can tell the only thing that could be wrong is the individual shank depth calibration which is adjusted by lower each individual shank. The procedure is explained in the operators manual. Just can’t understand why it would only be the center section.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
I only have experience with 37 series disc drills, very different machines but in someways similar. A 70’ 3720 with HF is tricky that way, especially regarding the MRB’s.

On this drill, going over 1000 psi down pressure on the seed openers is absolutely unacceptable. That will cause the openers to extend downward with enough force for the suspension to become slow and stiff and elevate the frame in sometimes random areas as the drill goes down the field. This begins by unloading the weight from the HF tires which increases their rolling diameter. I only use 8 PSI in the end HF tires because they are not under wing down pressure. The others are at more normal pressures.

Most of the time I only apply 500 psi of down pressure on the openers with integrated packers.

The mainfraim is heavy, but not when assisted by the wing downpressue system.

Last edited by Haystack; 05-19-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Too much downpressure on the wings might be lifting the center section slightly? Or perhaps air in the opener hydraulics on the center section?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
On the high float, there are the 2 big turnbuckles in between main frame wheels, anything with that maybe ?

Brent.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Our wing down pressure is as low as it will go.
We tried adjusting the turnbuckles to lower the front of the mainframe. Didn’t seem to make much difference and after doing that the font of the mainframe was obviously too deep because the MRB’s would not stay fully engaged in the ground but the outer wings would. That is not the issue. And we were only running 1000psi pack pressure so the openers were not lifting the frame up.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Cant see how it would effect it but the main frame Lock up valves? They might restrict flow somewhat compared to all the rest but it’s the shortest path hydraulically so just can’t see it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page