Pillar Laser - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
A worthy discussion for its own thread. Especially the openers that follow the tractor tracks.
It would be very interesting to see some side-by-side comparisons between openers with different types/levels of seed firming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
I have been told that the Pillar drill does not work well in heavy wet clay.

Does anything?

aussie.ltd. likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
I have been told that the Pillar drill does not work well in heavy wet clay.

Does anything?
Just a normal cultivator air seeder. Shanks harrows tank. That’s it. Lol.
BrianTee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I believe the Gen 3 opener is being revealed publically at Ag in Motion. They have a big announcement I have heard.

I think the Pillar is nearly a perfect disc drill for the non-traditional disc drill areas being those that have cold soils in the spring, higher organic matter and lots of residue to seed into. In the years where we were wetter than usual with 60 and 70 bushel stripped rye straw to seed into, it works excellent.

That being said, as it gets drier, the lack of positive seed firming does show up. In low OM, dry soils, there is some inconsistency in closing and packing over the seed.

For this reason since it looks like we are heading into drier days, I bought a Deere 1890 for this year. Now it isn't the perfect drill for all conditions and still takes some learning (I need to not be scared to go deep with the seed) but it seems to do a very good job in the dry.

Hopefully it gets wet again and I have to use the Pillar! As some of you may know, I have Pillar openers mounted on a fold back Case drill so it isn't really worth much. So I bought the Deere toolbar and use the same cart as before. The Pillar will be used for putting fertilizer into grass and probably some grass seeding but will stick around for if I have some problem years again.

The new opener will have the ability to gauge depth beside the disc if desired I think. Then the packer is on a spring loaded arm. They have another new packer wheel profile that is supposed to be the best one yet for seed to soil contact.

I found if I needed to get deeper to moisture, don't be afraid of putting the seed down the disc and fertilizer out the wing. It isn't ideal I guess for placement, but it allows you to go deeper than usual.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirschenman View Post
I believe the Gen 3 opener is being revealed publically at Ag in Motion. They have a big announcement I have heard.

I think the Pillar is nearly a perfect disc drill for the non-traditional disc drill areas being those that have cold soils in the spring, higher organic matter and lots of residue to seed into. In the years where we were wetter than usual with 60 and 70 bushel stripped rye straw to seed into, it works excellent.

That being said, as it gets drier, the lack of positive seed firming does show up. In low OM, dry soils, there is some inconsistency in closing and packing over the seed.

For this reason since it looks like we are heading into drier days, I bought a Deere 1890 for this year. Now it isn't the perfect drill for all conditions and still takes some learning (I need to not be scared to go deep with the seed) but it seems to do a very good job in the dry.

Hopefully it gets wet again and I have to use the Pillar! As some of you may know, I have Pillar openers mounted on a fold back Case drill so it isn't really worth much. So I bought the Deere toolbar and use the same cart as before. The Pillar will be used for putting fertilizer into grass and probably some grass seeding but will stick around for if I have some problem years again.

The new opener will have the ability to gauge depth beside the disc if desired I think. Then the packer is on a spring loaded arm. They have another new packer wheel profile that is supposed to be the best one yet for seed to soil contact.

I found if I needed to get deeper to moisture, don't be afraid of putting the seed down the disc and fertilizer out the wing. It isn't ideal I guess for placement, but it allows you to go deeper than usual.
Besides your innovative modifications to drills, I like that you you think out of the box and own another kind of drill that covers your seeding requirements at the other end of soil conditions. There can be no compromise on getting decent germination.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:16 PM
bap

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The only thing I would be leery about is fracturing the hard pan, especially if it is dry, and I think the pillar does this...I would think you would want the seeds at the very bottom of where the opener is cutting to...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Don't be afraid to tighten up the springs on the pillar, especially the ones in the wheel tracks. The spring doesn't move much so the trip weight doesn't go up like a shank trip. We've tightened them on occasion till there was no thread showing on the backside.

You do need a heavy frame tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page