Looking at getting a seed hawk/seed master - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Looking at getting a seed hawk/seed master

We are looking at switching drills and getting a seed hawk. I have some questions about them. It would have to have sectional control. Thanks in advance.

On a seed hawk, I had heard there was some issues with earlier sectional control... Have they been fixed and if so, what year should a guy be looking at to get?

How many HP would you need to pull a 660 bu TBT tank with a 66-70 foot drill? Would be a quad trac in pothole country, no big hills.

Overall, what are you thoughts on a seed hawk vs seed master? Pros and cons of each.

I would like to stay away from bourgault as we are zero till/one pass seeding and I am not sure mid rows are the solution so I am narrowing it down to seed hawk or seed master for time being.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Though I have no personal experience with a two shank machine, I do hear trash clearance/flow can be an issue. Many have good luck with seeding between last years rows, but that might be challenging in pothole country.

JD 1870 is also a twin shank, with a fairly good reputation I believe.

We are full liquid fertilizer blend, so we don't like the idea of MRBs either, due to P getting too far from seeds. Our last 2 drills have had paired rows and we like it, but don't mind a bit of disturbance either. Maybe a sideband boot would work for you as well..

As far as the seed twins, I do like the idea of the SM canola tank. When we were looking for our new drill, we considered them the top of the 2 shank machines. But again, no in field experience

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I will throw in my 2 cents here owning a 10" spacing SeedMaster, a 9" Bourgault PHD with 2" spread tips and MidRow banders, and currently a SeedHawk twin wing on 12" centers.

SM - I only harrow once, unit would not clear trash on 10" spacing. Huge problem where I'm located. 12" spacing may be better fit, but only single narrow openers from SM as far as I'm aware.

BPHD - Best field finish of all drills I've owned. Best trash clearance of anything I've owned. Switched to twin wing because I didn't like maintenance of MRB, and didn't like having to put majority of my fertilizer through MRB which was farthest possible position from seed. (unless you put in someone else's field).

SH - Twin wing is best drill / opener combination I've owned for seed and fertilizer placement to date. Best germination for canola by a fair bit. Field is rough due to deep trenches though. Trash clearance is very good. I currently am not running the SeedHawk tank because when I demoed couldn't load from superbee without having 2 guys in field. (maybe new one has changed). Running BG tank, which I believe is the easiest and most flexible tank on the market.

I pull a 70' SH with 950 BG tank with 530hp. It is not over powered by any stretch, but gets the job done maintaining 5mph most of the time except on steep hills, and bog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
SH pro
Excellent and even germination
Easy fertilizer management.
Very low maintenance
In NE SK hardly ever change seed placement
SH tank has even distributions across drill
SCT lift opener sections up
3 lbs / acre canola no problem

Neg
Straw stubble need to be short and harrowing with seven bar harrow or similar
Very uneven field finish ,deep trenches .
In dry years tractor cabs can vibrate when on certain angle
We harrow after peas or beans ,that’s a pain
Older SCT takes extra attention.
Depreciation is horrible specially 80 ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page