Tech no tills users?? - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Ken Adams

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Tech no tills users??

Looking to visit with Technotill users say within 2-3 hours of Kindersley, Sk.
I think these might have some merit, but not willing to invest without seeing results.
If you or know of someone using these, would appreciate a PM.

should add - did contact Betty Schoenhofer for some users names , but refused stating dry, poor seeding conditions this spring. WHAT?? This is when i am looking for something to work!! My confidence level in these dropped big time, but still want to see for myself.

Last edited by flatfoot; 06-16-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:58 PM
bap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I use technotill, however am on the opposite border away from you...have them on an old bourgalult 8810 and they are quite worn already. They have been virtually maintenance free, we still use that drill to seed canola and flax, I will try to get some photos from this years crop as some of the canola was seeded into some drier fields that we have had in a long time and they don't quite pack as neatly as when they weren't wore so thin, but still doing a good job. I have nothing bad to say about them.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:04 PM
bap

I tried to upload some photos from some other year but I think it failed...I'll try again later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM
bap

attempt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 114.jpg (3.31 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 116.jpg (3.46 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 116[1].jpg (73.0 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 116[1][1].jpg (73.0 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 116[1][1][1].jpg (73.0 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 114[1].jpg (59.0 KB, 234 views)
Transaxial likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:59 PM
bap

a better look at the furrow and a hempnettle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (3.46 MB, 23 views)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
We used them for a number of years had decent luck with them. I'm about 3 hrs from you. We just grew out the drill we had them on and endin up goin to a 3320. Feel free to pm me for more info if you'd like.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Technotill is intriguing. Pricey enough to get into but if they’re durable why not. In our hills an independent opener drill is the cats ass but maintenance, cost, need for newer tractors with better hydraulics makes them cost prohibitive for smaller operators like me. So we are stuck with gang packer drills that get beat up pulling through hills not following the contours. Previous airseeders we had never worried about that as much as keeping them in the ground with 14” shovels.
Where I have some difficulties justifying changing over to these things is you would need to buy a decent heavy duty cultivator and spend $500 per shank for the opener and technotill while for not a lot more could get into a decent used airdrill.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:48 AM
bap

Ya they are a bit pricey but if you have an air seeder already like we did at the time it made sense...our 8810 has only the 350 pound trips and 7.8 space however our soils do not really ever get that hard. With 3/4 inch knives it cuts into anything we seed with no problem and it is nice on the stoney fields as with those light trips it justs skates over them quite nicely and very rarely ever pulls one. Thats probably why we also have had very little maintenace on them in all these years. They also seed well through trash even with the narrow spacing.

Betty has also been great to deal with for us. They can be a bit of an advantage on dry springs as they only pack about a quarter inch above the seed and if the furrow gets a little deeper only loose dirt falls on top of the packed and the canola easily comes through it...you still have to be a bit careful though. I have also seen no disadvantage to the fertilizer placement either and the new design is probably better as it puts on both sides. Depending on the soil the furrows have always stayed pretty nice even after heavy rains.

However since I built our 8810 their are some pretty decent used drills out there now and as much as I like ours the cultivator is now worn out too so I am not sure yet what I am going to do for the future either...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We are far from Kindersley and probably not as dry as you are. We have used Technotill for years and years. They have worked extremely good for us. We have stuck with them for many years because the independents were always too rich for us, but I have to admit that I am a bit like bap above where my old Morris seeding tool is now worn out, and by the time I buy a nice heavier tool, and add the packers....I could be into a decent independent opener for about the same money. Not sure what to do going forward yet either...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
Looking to visit with Technotill users say within 2-3 hours of Kindersley, Sk.
I think these might have some merit, but not willing to invest without seeing results.
If you or know of someone using these, would appreciate a PM.

should add - did contact Betty Schoenhofer for some users names , but refused stating dry, poor seeding conditions this spring. WHAT?? This is when i am looking for something to work!! My confidence level in these dropped big time, but still want to see for myself.
Why wouldn’t you buy a used Bourgault 5710 or Flexicoil 5000, or any used shank drill with packer wheels? They are almost giving them away now? There is no question that they will work.

SouthernSK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page