Round up ready canola vs invigour - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
It seemed like our stuff with higher TkW did come out of the ground quicker especially with the deeper seeding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
Any difference with TKW and plant stands ? Seeded pioneer beside LL, TKW was higher on pioneer, seed rate accounted for that. Pioneer looked better out of the gate.
Same here but no noticeable difference. Pioneer LL almost Pea seed size at 6.9 vs 4.3 Invigor.

bjtjjl and scottyheps like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Lumiderm and Helix are not even in the same league, so can't compare between them. If the BY was treated with Lumiderm it would have been just the same.

Also here anything seeded before May 20 had issues, kinda like most years recently.

I know they aren't in the same league, but it was very obvious that there was a lot more beetles present in the BY. As far as I know, neither of those treatments repel beetles, they have to be bit in order to kill the beetle. You had to look fairly hard to find a beetle in the pioneer with only the odd plant with a bite out of it, compared to the BY where you were hard pressed to find a plant without a bite and easy to find 2-4 bugs on a plant. That's why it has me thinking the plant itself has some influence on the number of beetles in each field. The BY had some spots wiped right out where in the Pioneer fields right next to them didn't lose a single plant. And it was only a matter of days from when they moved in until we had to spray.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Lumiderm and Helix are not even in the same league, so can't compare between them. If the BY was treated with Lumiderm it would have been just the same.

Also here anything seeded before May 20 had issues, kinda like most years recently.

I know they aren't in the same league, but it was very obvious that there was a lot more beetles present in the BY. As far as I know, neither of those treatments repel beetles, they have to be bit in order to kill the beetle. You had to look fairly hard to find a beetle in the pioneer with only the odd plant with a bite out of it, compared to the BY where you were hard pressed to find a plant without a bite and easy to find 2-4 bugs on a plant. That's why it has me thinking the plant itself has some influence on the number of beetles in each field. The BY had some spots wiped right out where in the Pioneer fields right next to them didn't lose a single plant. And it was only a matter of days from when they moved in until we had to spray.
Soil surface makes a difference. Beetles prefer bare soil vs stubble. They also seem to eat the same plant. Not sure if it tastes better if its stressed or what but there will be 10 on a plant thats almost eaten to nothing and none on the one beside with hardly any bites out of it.
Partners likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Often the first canola out of the ground attracts the flea beetles, just like the first canola in flower seems to attract more cabbage seed pod weevils and other bugs than the later flowering canola.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
I was wondering one day while seeding if mixing some untreated canola in with the seed, at least on the headlands, would that help at all with beetles? Was thinking of kind of sacrificing the untreated stuff in hopes that they would leave the treated stuff alone? I think some corn growers do something like that for some kind of insect, do they not? I know once they bite a plant it seems to attract more, but wonder if they would focus more on the untreated? Would be nice if something like that would work.
shmiffy likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for responses- invigor canola was seeded about 2 weeks later than round up into 8” wheat stubble vs rr into pea stubble- the pea stubble was almost like summer fallow- and I seeded it earlier because it was quite dry- thinking it would have more time at a shot of rain- we’ve had some rain & rr is looking better but it came up patchy-
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmray View Post
Thanks for responses- invigor canola was seeded about 2 weeks later than round up into 8” wheat stubble vs rr into pea stubble- the pea stubble was almost like summer fallow- and I seeded it earlier because it was quite dry- thinking it would have more time at a shot of rain- we’ve had some rain & rr is looking better but it came up patchy-
Not sure what you had for rain this spring, but here the peas stubble has the worst crops I have ever seen on pea stubble. Had no stubble to catch snow, was much dryer than other stubble types and possibly even a little group 2 chemical carryover. Also was seeded sooner than the rest as it was drier and that matched up perfectly to the string of nights below freezing. Barley and wheat on canola stubble in this area still look thin from the road. Later seeded pea stubble once it warmed up is much better. Probably why your RR canola is also looking worse.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmray View Post
Around here canola seeded on pea stubble always seems to have early issues - more or less depending on conditions. If it makes it through this rough patch actually do see it gain on other stubbles as go through the year.

I seeded mustard this year(all untreated 6.4tkw seed) and put it all in around what I thought was my perfect canola seeding window - May 15. The beetles chewed on this stuff without mercy from time it was poking out of ground and I probably sprayed outside rounds a couple days later than should have. A quarter of canola that bordered some of this mustard was planted 9 days later and would have thought beetles would have migrated over that direction and could not find a bite mark in the stuff. Timing would appear to be everything and like many things in farming it can change a bit from year to year or cycle to cycle. If you have rain/good growing conditions beetles would not be an issue. Of course, any treatment likely not needed in this case either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page