The Combine Forum banner

Atom jet 3" paired row openers

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SouthernSK 
#1 ·
I currently have a parallel link style drill 10" spacing with atom jet side band openers. I want to switch to a 12" space parallel link drill with the 3" paired row style opener. Trash flow being the biggest reason for the switch. Question is I vr my fert so some areas get high rates of dry. 12" spacing would mean less openers than 10" so I would be putting a higher concentration of fert down each tube with this scenario. I am concerned about fertilizer burn. is anyone using a similar setup on 12" spacing with success? In hrsw some areas get rates of up to 290# urea and canola can get up to 250# urea and 90# ams.

#4 · (Edited)
The Anderson 6" PR opener with N placed between the seed rows and much deeper originally came from your area I believe. It became popular here as rates of fertilizer increased. It allows very high rates of N in the center band and high rates of PKS being triple shot at seed depth between the seed rows. It works because of the wide spacing of seed rows, precision placement and the much higher SBU concept. That is the basis for a common seeding system in our area today that allows the very high rates of fertilizer applied at seeding time with very little seedling damage from that fertilizer. Horst Anderson currently uses this system on 15" row spacing and one of my neighbors has gone away from several years of disastrous results from the two knife independent drills for all these reasons. Trash clearance problems being high on the list and with only two knives you are quite limited to how to place the high rates of fertilizer in use today. This neighbor using the Horst Anderson drill has returned to growing the exceptional crops he used to grow when 25 years ago he started using the Concord with Anderson openers. Several other top producers in this area are using the Dutch Precision opener with about a 5 1/2" paired row and 6" pneumatic packers on 12" FC drills and 12.6" BG drills that continue to out yield the newer and wildly more expensive and high maintenance independent drills. And that includes some of the old original Concord drills. It is hard to beat the even emergence of the newer independent drills but there are a lot of other considerations to look at in the big picture of seeding, bushels in the bin and net profit at the end of the year. Just my humble opinion and a few decades of trying a lot of things.

And don't forget the hydraulic requirements of the active down pressure independent drills!!

#5 ·
I had 3 inch atom jets on a contour, i loved them but one real dry spring i did burn my canola with a 100lbs of n. There is a bit of mixing all the time with these i think the 4 inch would cure that. I switched to there high rate side bands, there is never any mixing or problems, but i do think my yeid went down in the wheat. Canola is just as hood though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.