Disc Opener Down Pressure - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
The problem is when the pillar is going thru harder ground or in the wheel tracks, the force pushes against the disc of going in the ground and will then push out the packing wheel. Simple math adding up the forces, there will be little to no force on the packer wheel, hence no packing.

From what i understand, Gen 3 has them independent. But, if it takes 600 lbs on the disc and 300 on the packer times 48, you now need at least at 50,000 lb or more drill. The math never lies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hagny View Post
Your friend will be horrified when he sees the crazy range on his 1890. There's a cure for that -- hydraulic downforce.
Yeah that's what I'm pretty much expecting to find. He has been strongly considering hydraulic downforce for while now. I bet he ends up pulling the trigger on it.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
The problem is when the pillar is going thru harder ground or in the wheel tracks, the force pushes against the disc of going in the ground and will then push out the packing wheel. Simple math adding up the forces, there will be little to no force on the packer wheel, hence no packing.

From what i understand, Gen 3 has them independent. But, if it takes 600 lbs on the disc and 300 on the packer times 48, you now need at least at 50,000 lb or more drill. The math never lies.
I totally agree with you that a big weakness of the Pillar is inconsistent packing pressure when going through harder ground. I'm hoping increasing the spring tension will leave me with more packing pressure when going through hard ground, but not over-pack everywhere else. Obviously its a less then ideal situation but you seed with the drill you've got.

As far as I now the Gen 3 opener still uses the same fixed packing wheel arrangement as my drill. Here is a video Pillar posted on their facebook https://www.facebook.com/AgriTradeTo...7690115934300/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triticum Agricolam View Post
I totally agree with you that a big weakness of the Pillar is inconsistent packing pressure when going through harder ground. I'm hoping increasing the spring tension will leave me with more packing pressure when going through hard ground, but not over-pack everywhere else. Obviously its a less then ideal situation but you seed with the drill you've got.

As far as I now the Gen 3 opener still uses the same fixed packing wheel arrangement as my drill. Here is a video Pillar posted on their facebook https://www.facebook.com/AgriTradeTo...7690115934300/

I believe the first showing of it will happen at AIM this year. https://twitter.com/AginMotion/statu...51108327235584
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
I believe the first showing of it will happen at AIM this year. https://twitter.com/AginMotion/statu...51108327235584
I bet its a hoe drill.
BrianTee likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM

But releasing a new model doesn't solve the issue with the current opener and its challenges to pack in harder ground. It's definitely a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page