2Likes
  • 1 Post By Trav83
  • 1 Post By SWMan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Case IH 2000 row unit v Harvest International row unit

Hi all. Just wondering who out there is running the Harvest International Laser pro units? Good or bad? And if so how they would stack up against the 2000 row unit from Case IH? I’m in Rocky No-Til conditions goin into covers. Also want to hav a go at planting canola with it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Probably PP meters either way? I don't see any problem with the PP stuff. Did have my corn and soybeans put in with a 2000 series CIH last year and my concern with that row unit is those little closing discs would not close the furrow in some of the wetter conditions or simply be shoving two slabs of mud together. The down-pressure needed on those discs varies across different conditions IMO and the wheel at the rear is all but ornamental because it doesn't really do much packing at all in my clay-loam soil. Otherwise that row unit looked pretty sturdy to me. No personal experience with the Harvest International row unit. Neighbor bought a used HI planter and had so much problems that he ended up getting custom planter in, but that machine had Kinze row units on it so I don't think HI is to blame there.

My leaning is for some good spiked closing wheels to close the furrow, the Great Plains planter I had a few years back had curved steel spiked wheels and they worked very well.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
If you're going into cover crops a Harvest International planter is an awfully expensive machine to be eyeing to use for that purpose. I don't know how well they work but I believe they are built with Precision Planting stuff which I think is very over hyped and overrated.

The Case would be easier to find and usually isn't loaded with aftermarket stuff from PP but their closing system isn't my favorite. However from the two options listed I'd get the Case long before the other one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Either way both units would have PP gear on them. I currently run a 1240 and I know what u mean by not closing the row properly so we got the Shoup manufacturing serrated closing wheels on put them on backwards so the cover crop doesn’t wrap up. And put Pro Stitch out the back. Nothing it won’t close. I would put the Shoup wheels on the 2000 series but run the rear wheel for a start. On the HI I would either go pro stitch or furrrow cruisers.,
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5E2C8F9F-7A73-4F18-BD19-0E444366088A_1562007465738.jpeg (1.41 MB, 12 views)
jcalder likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:19 PM

Looks like you know how to make a Case row unit work then. I would warn that the 2000 series is heavy, the one here was a 16/31 on tracks and it still was sinking in soft conditions. If you are typically drier then the weight might not be a bad thing. I ran both Pro-Stitch and Furrow Cruisers on my drill and the Pro-Stitch is way more durable, I would definitely stick with them.

And the PP stuff might be over-priced like most other equipment nowadays, but it definitely isn't over-rated. Those meters work very well.

Orlando A. Battista
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
CaseIH 2000 Series row unit has larger diameter closing disks than the 1200 Series. Do you think the small closing disks are needed with the Pro-Stitch wheels? I have tried the cast iron Furrow Cruisers and they seem like they were too heavy behind my 1250, especially this year. Been crazy wet this spring.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
And the PP stuff might be over-priced like most other equipment nowadays, but it definitely isn't over-rated. Those meters work very well.
They don't work any better than a stock unit that is properly set up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
They don't work any better than a stock unit that is properly set up.
But you can plant popcorn, peanuts and M&M candies with it, all at once.

I've been watching all sorts of meters and performance lately and the PP we used last year was pretty darn good. But when the cutworms eat 20% of your corn it doesn't really matter...
jcalder likes this.

Orlando A. Battista
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
The Harvest Int'l row unit is going to be far more precise at placing seed than the CIH with all its sidewall blowout.

-----
-- Matt Hagny,

consulting agronomist since '94, founder Exapta Solutions ('99)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page