jd 1830 for soybeans - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
jd 1830 for soybeans

Hi guys. Traded my single disc amity drill for a JD 1830 with 7.5 spacing and steel packers. was tired of hair pinning and bearings. The wheat came up perfect. I seeded beans at the exact same depth and rolled them a day later. They are pure ****. Looked like 30inch rows at first, then some have filled in since. seeded at 5.5mph into wheat and bean stubble. Depth seemed farily close for a hoe drill, front a little deeper. After rolling, nothing is more than 2.25" and back at about 1.75. Been 6 wks since first ones planted. Some still coming, but look thin, tank tracks not coming much either.

Are the steel packers and rolling too much? I know depth a bit deep but a normal year shouldn't have been an issue. Any thoughts greatly appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
you buried them.. Thats the sh*ts with a hoe drill, if you don't see a shovel come out every now and again pull it up some. As far as your car tracks, what are your openers? I have a Flexi-coil, pretty much the same drill, it had 5" openers on it, put 3/4" on the main section. That seemed to help, but I think I need to pull the shanks up were the cart runs. Anther thing, at 5.5 mph thats moving for a hoe drill, the guy that helped me get started farm use to pound into my head, with a hoe drill in shallow crops no more than 4 mph, thats why they make 60ft+..

Don't give up on them though, last year I did the same thing with my Flexi, it was dry and I was doing the ugly no no of chasing moisture, they did finally all come up, and I had a very nice crop.. Just was sickening to drive by, spray, talk to the neighbor..

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks, I have eagle beaks on mine. Most guys here with hoes run 5.5 to 5.8. The neighbor with the same drill, however 10" spacing and rubber packers, runs at 6 and his picture perfect. Optimum seeding depth for beans here they recommend 1.5". The deepest I found was 2". I did roll them afterwards for rocks, You think too much packing with the steel wheels?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:46 AM

I don't think so.. Maybe, but I doubt it.. If that was the case they wouldn't still sell drills with steels.. Your neighbor may have wider packers. that would help. Is your drill level? I know thats a stupid question, but a not level drill would do this. Mine was off bad, never noticed it in grain, but the beans and peas started coming up last year and I knew I had a problem.

As far as speed goes, whats your spacing? I know the wider you are, as long as you aren't moving too much dirt you can haul a**. Have a neighbor that has a Horsh he seeds around 8-8.5 mph!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Seemed perfectly level on concrete. In the field depth seemed to vary by 1/4" at best. Befor rolling. after was a little more in places where the trench got pushed shut. My spacing is 7.5". I tried my last field at 4.8 to 5mph and it came up the worst. My wheat came up really good. Took maybe two days to be up completely. The drill was one year old with 2500acres on it, and I bought it in season.

Definitly going to have to relevel this fall. Sad part is, this is the first drill Ive had in 10 years where I actually was confident I was doing a good job on beans. Seed seemed to be at proper depth, into moisture, and covered good, with not one skip! What a disappointment. I had an Amity single disc for the last 5 years that really struggled with beans. Always had to run fan high to avoid blockages, which would blow seed out of trenches and depth control sucked then. Hairpinning also a big issue. Had a Morris contour before that, great depth control, but constant blockages when seeding every other opener.

thanks for the feedback
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
I had an 1830 last drill and was never satisfied with my beans. My last year I bought 3/4 inch opener and went really slow and they came up really evenly. Can you find the seeds that aren't growing? Is it seed damage from an impact with your opener or too much fan speed? My problem was slabbing. The frame would flex at higher speeds and go too deep and put a slab over the beans and they wouldn't emerge. The eagle beak should be good for that though? Less dirt moving?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

It seemed to move a lot of dirt, but the fields I went slower on were acutally worse, like in penetrated even deeper. The drill was set to lowest factory setting. There is room to add more shims though. My best stand is in last falls crp breaking, and really firm ground. Maybe fan speed was still too high, was so used to amity plugging, was hard to slow down too much. Its really hard when neighboring stands look good, and people question you in public as to what you fu##[email protected]!!#$ed up!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. It really helps the learning curve on a new machine. It has been a very humbling spring, and I value all of your input
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:05 AM

does it look like say the front shanks are getting buried? That would be a too much dirt moving problem. The slabbing Wetfarmer is talking about I can't imagine you ran into this year. Im just south of Harvey and I would say you were just as dry as we were during seeding.. I hope you get it figured out, I know spraying my beans the first time this year I was cussing my Flexi. We seeded half with the drill and half with a 15" CIH planter. The planter beans looked a lot better up until this last week and the drill finally caught up.

My neighbor runs an 1830 with a 1910 cart, he plugs every other row, I would have to ask him what shanks hes using, I believe main just the back to ranks. Anyways, since he started doing that you can't tell were his planter stopped and the drill started. He runs Dutch openers, and puts the seed were the NH3 would go. I would say a guess that he seeds at around 5.5 to 6. He has steel packers, but they are wide, they almost touch each other.

Anther thing, is the uneven seeding all the way across the drill or just sections? Maybe a roll slipping on the shaft?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

yes, back rank perfect, front the worst. the middle two really vary. pretty much across the drill, except almost nothing coming up in the tank tracks. Absolutely no effect in the wheat. Every row up within two days, even tracks. Same depth setting and speed. So confusing. Thanks again to all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page