Do precision drills lead to more compact soils? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do precision drills lead to more compact soils?

We run a Borgault 3320 Paralink with Midrow banders and a 3/4 inch opener. I have been running a paralink for about 5 years now and have been noticing our soil becoming more compact. It has also been dry over these years so I'm sure that is not helping the case. The neighbours that are still using conventional c-shank drills don't seem to have the same compaction issues I have. With these precision drill and the narrow openers are we not moving enough dirt like a conventional c-shank with a 3 inch paired row? Is this leading to more compaction? I am thinking about going back to a c-shank even though I know the seed placement and emergence isn't as good but I am more worried about how hard our soil seems to be getting. Any one have any comments or theories on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
The amount of tillage from any seeding tool will be very insignificant when it comes to influencing compaction. Any independent drill is going to be better than a c-shank drill for seed placement though.

Something else is going on IMO.

Welcome to the forum!

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Think its more the dry years, usualy we sink our spryer out of sight with 320 tires on there last 2 years we load up a 4830 full of 28-0-0 and you dont notice a thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Are you on Solonetzic soils? Its too much to give up the seed placement and depth control and the stand in the years when it doesn't rain in spring to get a little soil stirring. I know on grey wooded soils I get a yield response to tillage in fall. I have been precision, back to c shank and now back to precision again. On cereal stubble I till because I get lousy crops the following year if I don't. And I can never go many consecutive years to build up the mulch layer because I carve big ruts every third year. But I feel your pain. In a dry spring they are great but in a wet spring I like the c shank for the soil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Is it the precision drill? Or is it the larger drills and tanks etc

Brent.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I though the old hoe drills over packed. When I had Johndeere 1890 I tried a 1830 with atom jet side band. I went and turned around with the 1830 where I seeded with 1890. You could see the furrows from the packers 1 1/2”deep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page