seed disc openers - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
seed disc openers

New openers are 15.75 in, what is considered wore out enough to replace ? thx John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
If your trying to cut thru residue then once they no longer cut and hairpin. The beveled edge needs to be there for that.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Last Gen farmer I’m assuming you have a discs drill. How do you like it and how long did you own it. I would like to buy one some day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 PM

I like the accurate seed placement and the ability to set the depth and not stress about soft soil and firm patches in the same field. They follow the contour about as good as you’ll get in my opinion. For canola being in a tight row it’s easier to find the seed to assess depth. With bean I can easily blank every other row to give 15 inch rows. This does help if the soil crusts as there are more beans to lift the crust up. In cereals I wouldn’t want 10 inch rows. I think you loose yield in this area. I’m on 7 1/2 inch and that seems ok. In my soils that are generally wetter,spoked depth wheels are a must. Closing of the row on my jd is adequate in normal conditions but in higher moisture situations a knotched closing wheel works better. Maintaining them however is not the nicest of jobs. Lots of wear point that need watching as the acres start creeping up. I’ve had mine four years and rebuilt it before I used it. Have over ten thousand acres on it now and the discs are still sharp and bushings are pretty tight. Only thing I’ve had issues with was the closing wheel arm bushing would seize with dust. So I greased them and made it worse. This year I added grease seals the same as newer drill and never a problem now. I’d buy a Deere again as there are lots of aftermarket upgrades available at a fraction of the cost from Deere. Can’t comment on other brands but Deere our number all the other put together so that says it all.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last gen farmer View Post
I like the accurate seed placement and the ability to set the depth and not stress about soft soil and firm patches in the same field. They follow the contour about as good as youíll get in my opinion. For canola being in a tight row itís easier to find the seed to assess depth. With bean I can easily blank every other row to give 15 inch rows. This does help if the soil crusts as there are more beans to lift the crust up. In cereals I wouldnít want 10 inch rows. I think you loose yield in this area. Iím on 7 1/2 inch and that seems ok. In my soils that are generally wetter,spoked depth wheels are a must. Closing of the row on my jd is adequate in normal conditions but in higher moisture situations a knotched closing wheel works better. Maintaining them however is not the nicest of jobs. Lots of wear point that need watching as the acres start creeping up. Iíve had mine four years and rebuilt it before I used it. Have over ten thousand acres on it now and the discs are still sharp and bushings are pretty tight. Only thing Iíve had issues with was the closing wheel arm bushing would seize with dust. So I greased them and made it worse. This year I added grease seals the same as newer drill and never a problem now. Iíd buy a Deere again as there are lots of aftermarket upgrades available at a fraction of the cost from Deere. Canít comment on other brands but Deere our number all the other put together so that says it all.
last generation farmer, what do you use to block you manifolds for beans, also how do you put your nitrogen down on your 1890, I have a 1895 and put nh3 down the front rows for a one pass system. I am in bourgault country here but I prefer my deere 1895 and like the simplicity of it compared to the bourgault. How is your front hitch on the drill holding up, I had to rebuild the two ball joints on the front frame, a neighbour ripped the front hitch right off so seems like a weak spot, I hung a chain around it just in case.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 PM

To block the rows I use rubber pieces that came with it. They slip inside the manifold and are spaced to fit every other outlet. Work great. I went back to 7:5 inch rows because I have a lot of long thin river lots and had to spray the same direction as seeded,if the sprayer wheels lined up with the rows I had a 30 gap growing nothing. As for N I either band in the fall or float and incorporate in spring. Would like to find a way of midrow banding but I’m go8ng to fall band this year if weather allows. My from hitch is ok doesn’t look a strong point thou. Tractor has hydraulic swing hitch so that helps but can see it cracking at some point.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Last gen farmer. Did you do a test on 7.5” and 10” to see for sure if there’s a yield loss? I would like to know. I’m trying to Decide what to buy. 7.5” or 10”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page