Flakey Raven Smart Boom? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flakey Raven Smart Boom?

Hi, am new to the forum and discovered it while searching for sprayers. I am a small fertilizer retailer in West Central Wyoming and do all the crop protection work for the company. Am looking at trading my Willmar 765 for a 7200 Ranger, which has the field sensor suspension, allowing for a smoother ride than the 765. I like the small size of these sprayers since my average field size is around 65 acres. Everything is irrigated in our area, hence small fields. These machines are versatile and maneuverable for a variety of field types and odd shapes.

Because of that, I purchased a Raven Smartboom (automatic on/off boom section controller) for the 5 section 75 foot booms on the 765. Its coupled to a Raven 460 spray controller and a Raven Cruzer GPS. For the most part, the smartboom controller does a good job, but often "forgets" which booms to regulate. I upgraded the firmware and the unit performs better, but is still somewhat glitchy, in that it will turn boom sections on which are supposed to be off. Raven admitted their smartboom has/had communication issues with the Cruzer. I reduced the coverage % to 80% which helped somewhat.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with the Smartboom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Re: Flakey Raven Smart Boom?

I work in a lot of small fields as well. With the Viper Pro the only time mine come on is when you come to the headland to turn. The outer boom thinks it is heading to an unsprayed zone the other side of the fence so turns on when you make your turn. I shut the boom off manually and then click on when past the close point. I can stop that by doing a outer boundry no spray zone. They work very well.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)

Or by just not going to the very outer edge of the field when you turn. Mine sometimes turns boom sections off when they should be on. Pisses me off too. Raven always seems to have little software clitches that ruin an otherwise great product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

Noticed the same thing... I *kind of* fixed it by doing two passes around the outside of the field... that way the booms don't get that close to the edge... It's calculating lead-time into where it should be shut off, and that calculation isn't perfected yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs guys!

Pettman: "The outer boom thinks it is heading to an unsprayed zone the other side of the fence so turns on when you make your turn. "
Mine does the same thing. I don't mess around with creating a no-spray boundry zone, kind of a hassle, so, like you, I simply shut off the SCS master switch when I get to the ends. The outer end boom section comes on in a turn at the end of a pass also, if I don't shut the master off. It may have something to do with the look-ahead times you set. Even with the % coverage reduced to 80% the outer end boom still comes on in a turn.... The end boom section which pivots on the inside of an end turn will sometimes spurt on/off also. My center boom section comes on quite often when it should be off on end turns. Its also very noticeable when starting out on point rows. Center section will be spraying when the others are turning on in sequence. Another flakey glitch: Though the booms don't actually quit spraying, individual boom section on/off indicators on the Cruzer display will momentarily flash that the section just shut off, then turns on again, almost instantly. Certain 5 section indicators will randomly twinkle red (off) and green (on) kind of like a dang Christmas tree while you are spraying your pass through the field. The Raven tech guys can't answer why that happens.

Christian: "... It's calculating lead-time into where it should be shut off, and that calculation isn't perfected yet."
Me too. My "look ahead" (lead time for booms on) time is 1.5 seconds. That way I don't have skips starting my passes. My "look behind" (lead time for booms off) is .5 seconds. Its a little too quick and I need to reduce it some more. I really noticed my lead time errors last spring spraying Chateau on alfalfa. The chemical burned the crop a little bit on the overlap and you could really spot the healthy skips where the booms shut off too early!!! Also, tweaking your fore/aft antenna settings helps too. I set mine to approx half of what the measurement really is. This fools the system into thinking the sprayer is shorter, thus reducing skip error when the booms shut off and still allowing plenty of margin for the look ahead. My motto is, growers never complain about overlap, but they always complain about skips!

mbfarmer: "Raven always seems to have little software clitches that ruin an otherwise great product."
Here is my take: I think Raven releases their new products into the marketplace prematurely without fully testing first. This is common with hi tech products. Prototype development to production lead times have substantially been reduced from years to months in the face of competitive pressures. For instance, look how quickly new gadgets, apps and features for cell phones get introduced to the market. We purchased Raven Cruzers when they first came out and had all kinds of problems, namely faulty hardware/connections. We own 6 of them and have sent most back at one time or another for warranty work. They seemed to work that out, plus firmware revisions have helped tremendously. I really like the Cruzers for guidance systems, despite the few remaining glitches... I've owned the SmartBoom for over a year now and bought mine when they first came out. Unless I made two outside perimeter passes, (undesirable in most fields since the ends are corrogated and rough) and didn't back up (it reversed the order of turning booms on), I couldn't use it. It was basically junk. The new revisions fixed those problems. Now I use it all the time and am reliant upon it. We run two Raven SmartTraxx auto steer units in the TerraGators and they are rock solid. We try to buy one per year since they are so pricey. I do agree though, I feel like a guinea pig sometimes "testing" my newly purchased Raven product in the hopes it is going to work properly. Fortunately, I've had decent luck with their tech support.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM

I have a Spra Coupe 7660 with an Envisio with acuboom. I had a problem with the rear boom shutting off sporadically. The dealer came out and replaced nodes 4 different times. They finally figured out the wiring harness had a loose pin somewhere. Replaced the harness and no more problems.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)

By title, I thought this thread is about a girl I know.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page