7650 Coupe Quit While Spraying - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
7650 Coupe Quit While Spraying

Was about half done a tank crossing a small ditch when the engine just quit and coasted to a stop. It was running about 1850 rpm with normal temperature and over 3/4 tank of fuel. Checked oil and its right there on full. It cranks over ok, and we tried pressuring up the fuel with the primer pump and cracking the line into injection pump. It is getting fuel that far.

Interesting thing is I walked 20 feet behind the sprayer and found what looks like a 1" frost plug on the ground. Searched all around the engine and other areas, but couldnt find where it came from. Its like it came out and instantly the fuel was shut off.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

We found a 30 amp fuse blown in the engine area. Power comes from the battery straight there and then goes to a relay and over the ECM which distributes it to different sensors, injection pump and another module.

Replaced fuse and turned on key, it blew right away. Unplugged everything and replaced fuse and started to eliminate each item. Seemed to come down to the ECM which i called about with none around Western Canada and a cost of $3900.

Talked to service manager at Parkland Farm Equipment and he suggested we go back over everything checking again for any other problems before we write off the ECM.

Turns out the other module is causing it to blow the fuse. So i pulled it off and on the end of it (its shaped like a tube) the plug i found fits in there. Called for one of these and they are 210.42.

Dont know yet if this is all that is wrong but will be replacing it later tonight.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Hope it works. Loved mine when I had it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Installed the part (made by Cat, and is now a few inches shorter) and taped up all the wiring, connected all sensors and it fired up instantly.

Think it may have been getting weaker and not supplying full power to the injection pump, as it used to crank a couple seconds longer to start. This is only mysecond season with this unit.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Glad you found it, I have a 3630 that gave me a fit for one season. Found out that when spra-coupe made the black plastic fuel tanks, they installed them first, then drilled the holes for the grommets, putting shavings in the tank. Took me a long time and getting covered in fuel to find it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakwoodsfarm View Post
Glad you found it, I have a 3630 that gave me a fit for one season. Found out that when spra-coupe made the black plastic fuel tanks, they installed them first, then drilled the holes for the grommets, putting shavings in the tank. Took me a long time and getting covered in fuel to find it.
x2 I know what fits you are talking about.

We had our tank removed and flushed as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:51 PM
tc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
what was the module narkstar? part number? hitting the ditch broke the module? cat makes the module for a perkins? sorry for all the questions but clarification now may help alot in future

"poor day if you didn't learn something"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
what was the module narkstar? part number? hitting the ditch broke the module? cat makes the module for a perkins? sorry for all the questions but clarification now may help alot in future
Ditch was gentle, thats just where it happened. The module has 12V VLPM written on it which stands for Voltage Load Protection Module. It is designed to protect the ECM from voltage spikes or an overcharging alternator. If the max voltage is reached th VLPM will shut injection pump power supply, and stop the engine.

Part number is WR13906 by the parts book.

The original says Perkins but the new one has Cat and logo on it. Caterpillar does own them after all.

My question is: Should this module reset after a voltage spike or is it a one shot deal?
Ive never had the engine shut down like that, so I dont know. I did check alternator and it is not overcharging. Thought that maybe I had a faulty voltage regulator and it would happen again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 PM

First thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It allow us to diagnose and fix our 7650 that died while spraying a couple days ago in short order. The VLPM part numbers have changed you are now looking for CAT #396-6499. Curious what was inside this mysterious $400 tube located just above the ECM? it's just two Vishay SM8S11A TVS Diodes worth about $1.50.

Want to test your VLPM? check for continuity between red to orange and black to blue. red to black should be open.

If you are real brave and need to get the engine running in a pinch I suspect two mar connectors shorting red-orange and black-blue would get it started but be warned the filter to protect your ecm from voltage spikes from the alternator will obviously not be there and that's an expensive part to fry.

Happy Farming!

Perry

Last edited by perryc; 05-19-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page