Front boom vs rear boom - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Front boom vs rear boom

Front boom new holland vs rear boom case ih? Buying a sprayer this year fellas and need comments. Does the spray come back on the machine? Is it built to last? How does new holland stack up against case ? Any info is really appreciated. Maybe a person should go with mechanical driven sprayer. Are they any good ? Reliable ? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
I bought a 7830 Redball 4 years ago and have been very happy with it. It was the original company that designed these rear boom and 2 WD sprayers that was later bought out by Versatile (SX 275). The story was that the same engineer designed the Miller A75 which is also now NH 275R , designating rear boom. They also have 275F, front boom. I only have 450 hours on mine but really like the whole machine. Coming from a Hagie front boom, it takes a while to get used to the boom being behind you but now it seems ok after using it for a while. It sure keeps a lot of chemical off the machine since you are not in the cloud. The drive train seems to be well built with common components like Allison 3000 5 speed transmission, Fairfield all gear drop legs, the same as Miller, Apache, Versatile and NH uses. These machines all have 1200 gallon SS tanks so it is a big load on the rear axel, being rear boom also. The 380 tires are too small to carry a full load in soft ground but with a set of 710 x 42s it will go just about anywhere. Mine has a JD combine cab and is smooth and quiet ( air ride suspension). The 6.8 JD tier 3 engine has lots of power at 275 and is very good on fuel. The direct drive gets more power to the ground than a hydro so you have the quick power when you need it to keep moving in mud. It will go 25 mph on the road at about 1700 rpm and handles just like a 2wd tractor. There are no major issues with any of these sprayers as far as I can see for a lot less money.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What models?

Highly Advanced Specialized Agricultural Equipment

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3230 and I love it. Has 1000 hrs on it and almost zero problems. 2 wheel drive sprayers have all been sold from around here bc they don't handle the mud as well. I don't care how big of tires you have. Think about why there are almost zero 2wd tractors sold anymore. I've heard of a lot of front axles busting on apache sprayers. I demoed a 1020 apache and buried it in 60 acres to the frame. Then bought a case. Had an old willmar 6400 and that was better then any apache I've ever seen. My neighbour has a front boom and says he does get spray all over his machine but he still likes the machine. Buy something you can gets parts and service for.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
try them both before you buy. it truly comes down to personal preference
Licensed to kill likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

only mechanical driven option around my area wich is southern sask is new holland wich would be the miller sprayer kinda sractching my head about front boom I can see all that chemical on the machine when spraying canola for bugs I like the balance and the quietness of the machine even the 1600 gal tank looks ok Heard them front boom sprayers have wheel motor problems that true?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
I got a 2009 Miller Nitro 4365, the wheel motors were replaced at 2500hrs on a small scale recall, something to do with some bad bolts, 150 hrs afterwords a seal went out on one but now life has been good. I highly recommend front mount booms, after having them I don't think I could go back, it's would be like going back to the Stone Age.

Miller vs. Hagie They have pros and cons, in my opinion the Miller has the suspension to beet, but it is heavy as a tank. Miller has a parts network also but both have a ton of off the shelf parts compared to Deere and Case. Hagie's suspension is not quite as good as a Miller but is a far lighter machine, so when comparing HP you can get by with a little less from the Hagie. Also with Hagie I have poked around with them a little and it seems they have really good tec support.

Just some of my thoughts, you hear a lot of horror stories about both of them but my luck and what I have seen I believe both are in the top end of spraying equipment

I don't want to forget a front boom sprayer does require a little more love as the generally get some residue build up on them, a quick rinse of the wheels every few days makes a big difference and I finally found a cleaner called fresh start that gets the glyphosate right off, but the trade off for that and having a much better view of what is actually going on and not having anymore problems with dust it is the clear shot. Also If you are raising any corn it is much nicer following rows and being able to use headline at tassel makes them really sweet.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
I can't comment on NH vs Case as I've never used either one but from what I hear they are both good reliable machines. Regarding front vs rear booms, ask yourself, if you are spraying lorsban and the machine breaks down in the field, would you rather exit the machine onto unsprayed crop or sprayed crop?. Also, while all machines will get SOME residue on them and neither type of boom will get alot during pre-seed burn of early stage herbicide application (when the booms are low) but when you are spraying tall crop, IE pre-harvest or, more importantly most insecticides when the booms are 6 feet off the ground, the front boom will get considerably more chem on the machine than a rear boom. I've said this before and I'll say it again, in any other industry, a front boom sprayer would be illegal for safety reasons. Farming is the ONLY industry where a machine spraying toxic chemicals would be allowed to drive INTO the chemical.
chance2 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Sprayin in fairly windy conditions as I am in a windy area some hilly land would a machanical drive have issues climbing them fully loaded with a 120 boom 1200 tank mostly talkin about the new holland since it's the only one with a machanical driven sprayer in the area Also another option wich is another 30,000 is sharp shooter aka aims command Worth the money?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Have a front mount NH. I like the front mount booms. I have not sprayed with the booms high up (ie. canola). Normal spraying cereals and pulses, the booms are down low. I get some spray on the tire rims but I have never had anything up in the cab area. The spray passes underneath. I dislike the rate controller. Spray range is limited to a maximum about 50 psi at 5 gpa. After that pressures oscillate with Raven rate controller which is based on a variable speed pump.
I have had one wheel motor go out under warranty - lost a week of spraying due to that. If it would have come out of my pocket, they tell me it is 12K or more.
I have non-contact height control. I dislike that very much - very twitchy. I would like to try a contact height control system. I am constantly playing with those settings. Works fine in midfield. Try spraying a field edge and watch the booms "lift off" on a windy day and create a jigsaw pattern in the field you are spraying next to. If they happen to lock onto grass or a weed, it can bounce your boom!
Put a sharpshooter on and don't think it is worth it either. The booms are way wetter than they were using AI nozzles before. There is also the hassle of replacing nozzles that generally don't have even a poor pattern - its no pattern at all as it hasn't turned on. So go out and replace solenoids and keep the system running. I would much rather have a poor pattern than none at all! Very expensive system to maintain, always out there with rubber gloves and in the chemical. Also sharpshooter and this sprayers rate controller can cause some pretty wild oscillations until they stabilize after turning at the end of a field. They seem to fight each other until they work together. Not all the time but sometimes! After spraying some like that, you can recognize where it happened in the field! It is especially noticeable if you have a rate change because you sprayed around a power pole or something and slowed down dramatically from your regular speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page