Miller Nitro 4365 wheel motor life expectancy - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Miller Nitro 4365 wheel motor life expectancy

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has high hours on a Nitro 4365 and what the life expectancy on the wheel motors is? We had the Miller reps out a few years ago doing some monitoring and testing on our machine as part of product development and they said they were designed for 8,000hrs plus, but my dealer tech is suggesting they should be refurbished at 6,000 hrs.

Anybody got any experience here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
If you make it to 3000 without a failure I will buy you a box cookies, at least one will shell by then

God Bless America
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We have 2700 hrs on a 4365 and I rolled it into a ditch this summer.We had to send in a hydro for a new casing so rebuilt all wheel motors and hydros so now back under 2 yr warranty. Our 4240 we redone at 4200 hrs complete rebuild. Our mechanic works on pea harvesters and suggested between 3 and 4000 hrs send all in to redo.A lot cheaper than having a failure in season. $3000 / hub to rebuild vs $15000 new.I like going back on 2 years warranty. We just sold our 4240 with 6700 hrs on it.
8850jd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ok , we are at 6300 hrs and have not had problems yet. We have been quoted $7,500 AUS per wheel motor to rebuild. Plus labour to remove and refit I assume. Sounds like we should get it done ASAP
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If one fails,it will fill entire system with metal and i reckon getting ALL that metal out could be virtually impossible.
There was an N2XP in sprayer barn Dubbo late last year.An auxiliary pump failed and put metal right thru the hydro system. Took out the hydro pumps and all 4 wheel motors..........Not good.
Mal

Trangie,NSW.
Australia
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
There are 2 pumps, 1 pump does 2 wheels which are diagnal from each other. The other pumo does the other 2 motors. So if something actually happened to a pump the most that could happen is take out 2 motors.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Ken Adams

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Jester RM - in theory I think you are correct, but there was a nice shiny blue one in this area that suffered a complete system contamination from one wheel motor failing!!
joeltractor likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westaus View Post
Ok , we are at 6300 hrs and have not had problems yet. We have been quoted $7,500 AUS per wheel motor to rebuild. Plus labour to remove and refit I assume. Sounds like we should get it done ASAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
If you make it to 3000 without a failure I will buy you a box cookies, at least one will shell by then
You'll have to get his mailing address SWF, looks like you owe him 2 boxes of cookies.
csfi and 8850jd like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester RM View Post
There are 2 pumps, 1 pump does 2 wheels which are diagnal from each other. The other pumo does the other 2 motors. So if something actually happened to a pump the most that could happen is take out 2 motors.
Not quite correct. Each hydrostat system bleeds a certain amount of oil to the cooler and then back to the tank. I don't know the specs on the system, but I'd guess its between 3 and 5 gpm each system. Make-up oil is pulled from the reservoir by the charge pump for each system. There is a strainer (big chunks only, not a filter) on the return to tank lines with an alarm. But the alarms can give a lot of false readings, and would be easy to ignore. There are also charge pump filters, but still not a lot of capacity to trap shrapnel.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The 7500 / motor is a little steep. We were quoted $4500 cnd / motor but once they got into them they had water damage from contaminated oil so then it was $8500.They recommend doing all wheel motors and hydros together and then you have 2 years warranty. When we did the 4240 it was around $24000 complete.
1 wheel motor going bad contaminates the whole system.Every hose has to be flushed with sponges shot through them till clean.A good week to redo. Rebuild is way cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page