Wet boom or Dry boom? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Wet boom or Dry boom?

Wet or Dry-boom, what is everyone's preference?

I've always ran wet-boom rigs and have been very happy with them. But my "new to me" sprayer is a dry-boom unit. I look at all of those little hoses and connections and think it has the potential to leak like a sieve, especially when it is old and weathered. I need to replace some of the nozzle bodies on it and I am wondering if this is the time to convert it over to a wet-boom system?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a dry boom and they work very well. You just got to make sure that you rinse the boom really good, because of all the spots chemical can get trapped. You also get a little more pressure drop because of the extra connections. I plan on upgrading my boom some day to a wet boom though, they are much more simple.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I have no idea what either are.

Bruce

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
This is a Dryboom body. rubber hoses are the connection between nozzles.

And this is a Wetboom body. It clamps around and is fed by a common PVC, Aluminum, or Stainless steel pipe.

David
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Thats right those are the fittings. A wet boom has a rigid pipe usually stainless, with holes in it for the fittings spaced every 15-30 inches. A dry boom is fittings with flexible hoses connecting to each fitting. I don't know how the terminalogy originated. The wet boom (rigid pipe) is easier to keep clean, since there is less of a possiblity of chemicals getting trapped in the system. Most new sprayers are wet boom. Stay away from aluminum pipe it tends to react with chemicals easily and oxidize. I had a George White sprayer once with an aluminum boom. After a while the **** thing would always plug nozzles.

Last edited by andy8570; 03-01-2011 at 09:05 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM

Wow that the first time I noticed i got bleeped. Didn't know **** was that bad of a word LOL
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I guess some old sprayer had the pipe integrated into the boom, hence "wet boom", and the ones with the hose separate were "dry" since they were just a boom to suspend something.

I like the logic of the wetboom more, although I imagine it's harder to widen out nozzle spacing on it.

Bruce

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I would do the upgrade to a wet boom if I was in your situation. Go 20" spacing PVC pipe. I would stay away from any type of metal pipe.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapisalba View Post
This is a Dryboom body. rubber hoses are the connection between nozzles.

And this is a Wetboom body. It clamps around and is fed by a common PVC, Aluminum, or Stainless steel pipe.

What happened to the days on only having 1 nozzle instead of 5 now LOL

we have a older flexi coil system 62 (i think 62 could be wrong) and we have what you call the wet boom set up no problems with them just if it cold at night pull a nozzle off the ends of course to drain the water we didn't and it pretty much shattered the whole PVC pipe But low and behold Case had the exact piece we needed length and the holes all in the right spot

i've never used the dry body set but it looks kinds crappy cause the way i see it the hoses would sag down after time and have a bit if a dip in it and hold chemicals inside there holding Glyphosate when your trying to spray your wheat with thumper.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 AM

I have a wet boom on my Patriot and am converting it to a dry boom. The holes in the stainless pipe are becoming elongated from wear. This results in the o-rings that seal the nozzle to the pipe not lasting more than a day or two. I am changing o-rings and taking a chemical shower all the time. My neighbors have a dry boom with the same hoses for over 11 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page