Free Canada Farm Progress Show Tickets - for CombineForum users only - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I remember the year we went to show and had not started seeding. This year may be done a month before. I switched to wilger 110s this spring from 80s. Which are now available.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Use Tee Jet tips here but will look at Wilger when it comes time to replace them.

post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
TheCombineForum Forum Sponsor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Barn
Hey guys, thanks for all the good discussion, and always nice to have a pat on the back. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
Thats a good topic, what is the typical life expectancy of plastic tips? Our pull type sprayer has same tips as new but we spray in a year what most guys do in a few days. Alternating between 5 and 10 gallon tips we may have 15,000 acres on a set of tips so when does a guy start to pay attention to potential tip wear? Does running higher pressures come into play to accelerate wear also? Seems like for me it is one of those items that is not really worth testing, if you think you have reached the typical life expectancy than just buy new ones and be good till the sprayer gets replaced due to old age.
Good questions @kenmb,

It's tough to gauge lift expectancy.

In short (like really short), a lot of guys replace them every 50-60k acres. Again, that is a rough idea just so they dont have to bother with calibrating the tips and doing all the extra work. Realistically though, you could have need to replace them before that 50k acres for sure, depending on your circumstances.

In long (like really long), water quality is the main proponent in tip wear. If water quality is excellent (i.e. filtering 2-3 times before getting to sprayer tank, then 2-3 times while going through the sprayer), then expect your tips to last a lot longer.

For plastic tips, chemicals used can typically make a big difference in wear. Not that it happens often, but different types of plastic that are used in spray tip/caps (i.e. celcon, glass-reinforce polypropylene, etc.) have their own weak points in chemicals. Just remember plastic is not equal to plastic all the time. Some plastics are more stiff but less chemically resistant.

For stainless tips (what Wilger tips use), chem doesn't make much of a difference in wear to my knowledge. The main wear on stainless is water quality. Little would you guess that poor water (like really poor, pulling from the gravel pit straight to the sprayer kind of poor) would likely wear stainless tips faster than a plastic tip.

For ceramic tips, to be honest, I don't deal with too often, so rather than make something up, I'd just say they are supposed to be better than plastic and on-par (or marketed as 'better') as stainless tips.

For pressure, higher pressure does give the nastier water quality more wear on the tips. Makes sense. If the water is nice and clean, its probably not as bad as you'd think. If you are okay (drift-wise) to spray at higher pressures, then I wouldn't let tip wear be the main factor in not spraying at those pressures.

For calibrating (when to replace), usually the tips come from the factory within 3%, so as soon as your tips vary from the intended flow rate by 10% or more, it'd be high time to replace them. For those who don't know, the intended flow rate is right on your cap. When you see 'SR110-03', that is broken down to the specs of the tip:
SR=the series of the tip, 110=the angle of the tip,-03= the flow rate (usgpm) at 40PSI (@ 80F water), so an -03 would be 0.3 US gallons/minute. This is standard across all tip manufacturers, so a blue tip flows the same as a blue tip.

To make it easier for calibrating, there are a few tools out there that can make it a ton easier to calibrate or decide if your tips are too worn. Namely, Spot-On (~$150+) or Applimax's calibrator (~$500). With them, you just put it under your tip, running at 40PSI, and it'll give you the flow rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swath Chaser View Post
Is there anything on the market to test the output of individual tips?
Hey Swath Chaser, a few options for calibrating just above this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
I made a note of this on my phone... will stop and say hi!

Hate to say it, but we use Teejet tips/bodies... why? Sprayer came with them, basically, then we added tristream fertilizer nozzles and twinjets for better coverage.

Next sprayer... who knows. Maybe a Hagie. Maybe a Rogator. LOL.
Hey, it'll be good to see you at the show. Who knows, it might even be a green hagie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambear View Post
Haha I don't even wanna win, I always get a pile of free tickets from different business I deal with, and I haven't gone in years!! Hopefully this year, I'm two weeks ahead of schedule so should be done spraying by then?? I will be checking out your website...
Just as long as we don't get another month of winter in the next week or so, you should be in good shape. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasksodbuster View Post
Wilger Industries definitely has the best website, namely Tip wizard for choosing your nozzles. I cut and paste your tip charts on the tips I am using to Word or Excel than print them off in a very large font so each chart fills a full page and keep them in cab of sprayer for reference. I see you have changed your charts since the last time I printed off charts. Are the old charts still available?
+1. Tip Wizard makes my job so much easier. We had just reprogrammed it to give better results and give more information, as well as add a kind of legend that would give an idea of what each column is, for those who are just looking at it for the first time.

I'm just finishing up a little guide for using Tip Wizard that makes it a lot easier to understand from start to finish, to get the very most out of the tool.

The old charts are still available. They should be available in the DOWNLOADS section of the website. If you are meaning the old tip wizard charts, then those will be phased out right away. The data is the same (in some places, we fixed errors in how it was showing, so it is better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
The tip wizrd is a very good information source on Wilgar nozzles. I was wondering if Wilgar makes any twin nozzles like the twin turbo Teejet nozzle? We have used twin nozzles and like the coverage they provide.
For twins, we are likely only going to stay with our Wye adapter for multi-tip spraying. Usually for those high volume fungicide kind of applications, you'd have tips on hand that you can plug on to get the application (rather than buy two sets of tips completely).

The other thing is that you can still get the drift reduction (without sacrificing much coverage) so you get physically more flow hitting target. If you are using the twin turbos, they essentially spray as 2x conventional spray tips, so they can get pretty darn drifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
Well don't have any Wilger tips or such but I do use one of the last actual sprayers they built, Jumbo 880, always been quite happy with it. Reminds me I never did follow up with you Lucas about those decals and such we had discussed in some emails a year or two ago.
Don't put my name in the hat, no way I'll ever get down that way for the show, best someone else get them. Nice offer regardless, thanks
Hey Albertabuck,

Not even kidding, every year I get about a dozen calls for parts or manuals for the old Wilger sprayers. To put it into perspective, most of these sprayers have been running since the late 80s and early 90s (I think the last production year of the Wilger sprayers was '92). Just this week I sent a fellow home with another set of tank graduation decals. Speaking of decals, I do know we have probably half a dozen sets at the factory now, and I know exactly where they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Remember how cutting edge Wilger sprayers were when the first came out, wow, a boom wheel with a suspension on it and a stainless tank, what a marvel!
No kidding. It was pretty amazing, as farmers will come up to me at the show and literally tell me that they'd buy the Wilger sprayers sight unseen without even knowing any of the new features to the sprayers, as they knew it'd be great. It was a waay before my time with Wilger, but it is pretty awesome that the company still maintains that loyalty for over 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddles View Post
we use wilger tips with our aim command system, nice to have the tip wizard, makes choosing tips a lot easier. it would be interesting to see a chart in one location that shows the optimal droplet range for each chemical out there. I haven't seen that in one easy to read chart, would be nice especially with the aim command, I think it would be a great addition to the tip wizard.
+1. On the recommended chem side of things, I feel your pain. As far as the liability side of things, I'm sure you are pretty well aware that kind of information would have to come from the chem mfgs. BUT, that doesn't mean you are completely hooped.

For example, find the link to the Saskatchewan Crop Production Guide (2016) -http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/details.cfm?p=77706
Note that the guide references the chem labels based on the OLD ASABE S572 standard which is as follows:
FINE (150-250 microns)
MEDIUM (250-350 microns)
COARSE (350-450 microns)
VERY COARSE (450-550 microns)
EXTREMELY COARSE (550+ microns)

From that, you'd be at least within 100 microns of the chem labels. As far as a comparison, 100 microns is the width of a hair, so even if you are adjusting the base number of the category based on your conditions (i.e. spraying into windier conditions often might mean +50-75 microns to your baseline droplet size).

At least something to help you out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
Albertabuck if you decide to upgrade to a newer wheel boom sprayer I would look at a flexicoil 67xl sprayer. They are a rugged sprayer and have well designed booms that seem to go forever. The booms fold nicley from the cab. They however never came with a stainless tank. We had a 120 ft with 1600 gallon tank.
As a side note, for anyone who might have a 67XL who has a busted tank, I think I saw a few for auction at PBR Auctions in Saskatoon. Otherwise, the tank has been discontinued and I don't think they can run the mold for it anymore. They look like un-used tanks from CNH's yard.

Better Engineered Sprayer Parts for Over 35 Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by s6704940 View Post
Have been using Ultra low drift Hypro tips for herbicide and twin low drift for fungicide an pesticide and pretty happy with them.Would be be very interested to see which of your nozzles compare to ones I'm using or which ones might be better for our application.
Hey s6704940 (If that really is your name. lol),

In a nutshell, Wilger tips don't use air induction for drift control. Following that, we get the same kind of results/coverage as the air induction, with a few differences. (i.e. no air mixed in droplet, so better velocity with a solid mass droplet, less plugging, etc)

Wilger makes 4 series of tips, each of the are the same as far as flow rate goes. The only difference is the droplet size/coverage/drift control. For a 2 second shpeel, they could be classified as:
ER (FINE): Just standard conventional flat fan tip. Don't use these anymore unless you are doing fungicide with a single tip. (I.e. with a -06 or bigger tip)
SR (50% Drift Reduction from ER, small drop): First stage drift reduction, so you retain a lot of the spray that would otherwise be drifting, allowing more physical flow to go down to hit target. There isn't really a hypro comparison to this tip. (It is finer than the air induction tips, but still reduces a ton of drift)
MR (75% Drift Reduction from ER, Mid-range drop): Second stage drift reduction, so this is right where a normal air induction tip would be.
DR (90% DR from ER, serious drift reduction): This would be the equivalent of your Hypro ULD nozzles, except they can run at much lower pressures than your ULD. (Usually recommended pressure for ULD is typically like 50-60PSI minimum, as your pattern will be pretty heavy with coarse droplets in the middle). With the DR tips, you'd be ideally running 30-35PSI as a minimum, and your pattern does distribute better. This is more prominent on the high flow ULD (like above a -04 tips). For the low gallonage (like -01 to -025 tips), there is so little flow coming out of the tip, the large droplets don't form as consistently.

Depending on the applications, the recommended tip could vary. For example, if you are running a conventional auto-rate sprayer, going 5GPA (12MPH, 20" spacing, 110 tips) on glyphosate (ie. label droplet size of 350 microns; addressing sensitivity to drift and wind conditions might change that to 400 microns), you'd likely be better off using the same Hypro ULD or DR110-02. This would give you a higher speed range as well, so you can go a bit faster to get finer coverage in areas that have less drift sensitivity. If you typically go slower than 11MPH, you'd probably be dropping down a size of tip to the DR110-015. Given your application mirrors what your chem is looking for, the main benefit of the DR over the Hypro ULD tips would be the less plugging (no air ports to plug), as well as it is a LOT easier to clean (not even kidding about this part - the tip is essentially all one piece snapped together with the strainer, compared to the ULD).

For the fungicide/twin application, we make a wye adapter that you'd plug two separate tips onto, so you can still minimize your drift and maintain coverage wherever you were needing it. (i.e halving the volume for the tips, but having a coarser tip up front versus the back)

Hope that answers your question. Let me know (or PM me) if you did want any more clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanchfarm View Post
We don't use wilger products in Australia pretty much because I didn't know where I could get them. Just changed our spra coupe 4650 over to hypro bodies and not overly happy with them but they work I guess.
Just a bit weak in the neck part just below the stainless steel pipe.
But a mate and I are keen to get to the progress show one year and free tickets would be a great boost to our budget.
Hey Blanchfarm, given you are on the east side, best give a call in to Spray Nozzle Engineering to find a dealer near you. SNE would have all of our bodies stocked, but I know they likely aren't stocked at your SpraCoupe dealer. I get a fair bit of call from Burando Hill (I think they just added a location on the east side) who would likely be able to get the parts for you as well.

Quote:
You could check with Lucas but I'll swag airfare not included.
Quote:
Haha I'm sure I can cover the airfare Don but if lucas offers I won't knock it back.
Well, I can at the very least supply enough styrofoam and detailed drawings to build your own boat and/or plane. Your choice. Haha.

On a serious note, there are decent programs in place to help international groups come to the show. A lot of the time, most of the air fare is covered. I'm guessing it might be a little too late this year to apply and all that stuff, but could be worth a look. I know a few guys from the Burando Hill group out of Katanning and Geraldton usually come out every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bussard View Post
I run willer tips, think we meet in Germany at the farm show if I remember correctly.. The guy looking for the bar,.lol
Funny as it is, I remember you as well. Good to hear from you again. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skgrain View Post
I remember the year we went to show and had not started seeding. This year may be done a month before. I switched to wilger 110s this spring from 80s. Which are now available.....
I feel your pain. Albeit we manufacture the products and stand by them, it's tough to ensure dealers have adequate stock. When dealers are run more like big box stores, where stock must be kept to X% or X$ or else pink slips are getting handed out, it usually means the farmers are getting the brunt of the pain.

Once again, Sorry for the longwinded posts, but I am appreciative of the responses and wanted to at least respond to what I could.

Thanks again for your guys interest and feedback, and I hope to see as many of you as I can at the show.

post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hey Blanchfarm, given you are on the east side, best give a call in to Spray Nozzle Engineering to find a dealer near you. SNE would have all of our bodies stocked, but I know they likely aren't stocked at your SpraCoupe dealer. I get a fair bit of call from Burando Hill (I think they just added a location on the east side) who would likely be able to get the parts for you as well.

Quote:
You could check with Lucas but I'll swag airfare not included.
Quote:
Haha I'm sure I can cover the airfare Don but if lucas offers I won't knock it back.
Well, I can at the very least supply enough styrofoam and detailed drawings to build your own boat and/or plane. Your choice. Haha.

On a serious note, there are decent programs in place to help international groups come to the show. A lot of the time, most of the air fare is covered. I'm guessing it might be a little too late this year to apply and all that stuff, but could be worth a look. I know a few guys from the Burando Hill group out of Katanning and Geraldton usually come out every year.

Thanks Lucas I'm sure we can fashion a great plane from some styrofoam.
No we will be the work is done jump on a plane and come over kind of blokes we were going to come last year but ended up having to dry every grain of sorghum we harvested. This year we are all but done harvest now.
If we making it over I will defiantly call in and say gday.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
Thanks Lucas I'm sure we can fashion a great plane from some styrofoam.
No we will be the work is done jump on a plane and come over kind of blokes we were going to come last year but ended up having to dry every grain of sorghum we harvested. This year we are all but done harvest now.
If we making it over I will defiantly call in and say gday.
Sounds good.

Had a chance to tour the East Coast of Australia in 2008 for just over a month, and honestly, I really have to make more work for myself down there so work will pay the flights. No other country has come close. (Although I saw some bloody big spiders while I was there, which I could probably do without.)

post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
I did austral last year.. Trip of a lifetime forsure, worked on a harvest crew and met lots of great farmers.. We are a special breed..
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Just a reminder. I'll be picking winners by the end of the month, so if you wanted to join into the giveaway, just send a post about something sprayer (or Wilger) related.

post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
You likely know this Lucas but if you click on number of replies it will list all posters. Looks like this at this point:
Who Posted? - The Combine Forum
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
You likely know this Lucas but if you click on number of replies it will list all posters. Looks like this at this point:
Who Posted? - The Combine Forum
Haha. I did not know that. Don, you are a Forum Wizard, I tell ya...

Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page