melting down 46-0-0 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
das

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
melting down 46-0-0

Has anyone done this,what kind of ratio of water and 46-0-0 did you use.How many pounds of N are you able to spray on,looking to put 30 to 40 pounds of N on.One guy told us that was impossible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
yes, i heard one guy doing it, he said he had less leaf burn than 28-00, but he to set up a few tanks and constantly circulate product to prevent frezzing, i will quiz him on how much water he used

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I think that it works out to be about 20% N (it can dissolve at higher concentrations, but it requires work). So more water than putting on 28 0 0. Might just be able to water down your 28 and have the same results.

UAN will also not gas off as badly as urea, so that has to be considered.

Here is a segment from U of Mn.

Fluid Urea
Uniformity of particle size is important with dry solid urea, whether applied directly or in blended formulations. Some imported urea appears to be below U.S. quality standards on granule uniformity. Dissolving urea and marketing the liquid solution is an attempt to overcome this lack of uniformity and still take advantage of the favorable urea price.

The liquid mix of urea and ammonium nitrate (UAN 28% N) has been on the market for a long time. The characteristics of this solution, however, are not the same as when urea alone is dissolved in water. A solution of 50% urea by weight results in 23-0-0 and has a salting-out temperature of 60 degrees F. In order to store and handle liquid urea during cooler temperatures, the nitrogen concentration must be lowered to reduce salting problems. There are several possible formulations that can be used for this, such as adding small amounts of ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, or anhydrous ammonia.

Research, particularly on liquid urea, is very limited. Generally, where dry urea functions successfully, the fluid urea should perform equally well and may have the advantage of better uniformity over some dry urea sources.

Fertilizer Urea

Make sure you figure out all your costs if you want to try it. I imagine that UAN will be very similar in cost by the time you get everything done. Unless UAN is not available in your area.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Can you get your hands on ammonium nitrate? 34-0-0 It is a much higher grade fertilizer than 46-0-0 (urea) and from my understanding you can put less on and get the same results. Plus ammonium nitrate dissolves quite easily with a chem handler from my experience.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfl2008 View Post
Can you get your hands on ammonium nitrate? 34-0-0 It is a much higher grade fertilizer than 46-0-0 (urea) and from my understanding you can put less on and get the same results. Plus ammonium nitrate dissolves quite easily with a chem handler from my experience.
34% vs 46% and you put less pound with the 34%??? I don't know if my math is wrong but it would make sense that you would have to put more 34% to end up with the same units of N as for the 46%.

We used some 34-0-0 for our starter blends but ended up switching for 27% because there was too much powder in the 34 and we were having problems with the planter.

Why not just broadcasting your 46%? if you do it before a little rain it doesn't burn too much

In Quebec we use this machine to put our starter in and then shift the disc, take off the planter and sidedress dry urea. Works pretty good!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
We have done it for a couple years already. We put 4.5 tonnes of 46 0 0 for 6000us gallons of water. Then spray on 7 gals an acre witch gives us about 5 pounds of N per ac. Dont think you could go much more then that without heating the water at the same time. We mix this blend with 3000 liters of alpine to give us another 2 liters of phos. per ac. We mix it in with all of our herbicides and fungicides.

Joe

Last edited by harvestmoon; 06-19-2011 at 08:12 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
What kind of tips do you use harvestmoon? Streamers or is it fine with fans?

With 28, 7 gallons gives you ~20 lbs. I imagine if you would dilute 28 to the same concentration, it would be much more crop safe as well.

In looking to get 30 to 40 lbs of N on with that concentration, you would need between 40 and 60 gallons per acre of mix to achieve that rate.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM

I just use the tee jet nozzles. Not streamers.
Wow 40 to 60 gal. per ac is ALOT of water

Joe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Since Oklahoma City, ammonium nitrate is pretty hard to come by here in the US. Nobody wants to handle it.

If you need hot water to melt urea, a little anhydrous into a tank of water makes hot water pretty quick.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 AM

If you need hot water to melt urea, a little anhydrous into a tank of water makes hot water pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

That works ??
How ??

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page