Outback to Raven - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Outback to Raven

New rogator showed up today and after spraying the first 5 quarters I sure miss the outback auto steer and sectional control on my old sprayer. Has anyone went from an outback system to a raven and actually liked it and think it's better? First off I can't seem to get used to lining up and engaging the auto steer. Outback system with the auto engage you just had to get close and it would grab the line and you could even steer the wheel a little to help it out if you weren't perfect. This raven if you sneeze on the wheel it disengages. Also I can't seem to figure out how to "snap" a new line on the same heading as the previous.
The other thing I notice already is it's not simple to manually spray while stopped to get out and check the nozzles. With the outback you just flipped on the section and it would spray.
Hopefully most of this is because I'm not familiar with the system yet and I'm not doing things right.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
What raven monitor do you have a viper 4 I maybe able to help

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

I actually don't know what it is. Dealer brought it today and he got me going and I shut it off at end of day. I assume it will say what it is when i turn it on again?? It's in a 2014 rogator 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
I would be betting it's a viper pro, I upgraded to a viper 4, it's not as handy as an outback but the 4 is a big step up in convince and more user friendly

God Bless America
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anythingbutgreen View Post
New rogator showed up today and after spraying the first 5 quarters I sure miss the outback auto steer and sectional control on my old sprayer. Has anyone went from an outback system to a raven and actually liked it and think it's better? First off I can't seem to get used to lining up and engaging the auto steer. Outback system with the auto engage you just had to get close and it would grab the line and you could even steer the wheel a little to help it out if you weren't perfect. This raven if you sneeze on the wheel it disengages. Also I can't seem to figure out how to "snap" a new line on the same heading as the previous.
The other thing I notice already is it's not simple to manually spray while stopped to get out and check the nozzles. With the outback you just flipped on the section and it would spray.
Hopefully most of this is because I'm not familiar with the system yet and I'm not doing things right.
Any advice?
I have to agree with you 100% that the Outback has a far superior guidance system than Raven! Nothing to set on the Outback, works good right out of the box with no tweaking necessary other than an initial set on the hydraulic servo unit.. Raven never finds the line until you are right on top of it and then can jerk you, never auto engages the line, sometimes even have to send a forward command because it thinks you are going backwards. That in itself tells me how much thought went into their system and design! I was forced to use the Raven Viper pro in my sprayer because that is what it came with. However, I would have much preferred an Outback System! Sometimes have to refresh the GPS because it loses that too!
SWFarmService likes this.

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anythingbutgreen View Post
Any advice?
What I used to do to check nozzles when stopped was
1 turn on the outside throttle control and flip the external pump switch on
2 if you do not have a job open but the viper on it will spray stopped(close a job with the booms folded and master switch on and you get to clean windows) but I have added a Spray Test controller and that has made checking and cleaning the booms a much nicer job.

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

It's a viper pro
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V876 View Post
What I used to do to check nozzles when stopped was
1 turn on the outside throttle control and flip the external pump switch on
2 if you do not have a job open but the viper on it will spray stopped(close a job with the booms folded and master switch on and you get to clean windows) but I have added a Spray Test controller and that has made checking and cleaning the booms a much nicer job.
The viper 4 has a really neat feature with a section control overide with a timer, so say you have a plugged nozzel but you are not sure exactly witch one you can set it for 15 seconds, run out and look and then it will shut off automatically, no leaving a job or nothing

God Bless America
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
The viper 4 has a really neat feature with a section control overide with a timer, so say you have a plugged nozzel but you are not sure exactly witch one you can set it for 15 seconds, run out and look and then it will shut off automatically, no leaving a job or nothing
Sounds ok but still can't beat turning sections off and on with a remote in your hand

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V876 View Post
Sounds ok but still can't beat turning sections off and on with a remote in your hand
First off.... If I had a detachable penis I would have lost it years ago, I can't imagine how the remote would work out for me....

But anyways it sure beets the heII out of closing out of a field just so you can run the booms manually, makes life so much easier like when you run out of juice, or when you want to double spray something. I wish the manual option for the pump was also that way, the viper 4 has a decent way of switching to manual but if I could set it for 15 seconds and tap it just before spraying a corner I think it would be great

I also have CP nozzel bodies with the pin on the poppet I can pull to check nozzles one by one

Should add it's alot easier looking for plugged nozzels on a front boom sprayer, if I had a rear boom system I would definitely be alot more interested in a system like that

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page