Pumping shuttles with Venturi on chem handler - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Pumping shuttles with Venturi on chem handler

Just in the process of switching water truck over to 3 inch and I want to pump directly out of shuttles using the Venturi on chem handler to eliminate the electric pump. Is anyone doing this with a flow meter? What style of flow meter because the few guys I talked to say they don't work sucking instead of pumping. Also I'm not interested in measuring inches or trying to read the numbers on the side of the shuttle would like something a little more accurate. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
The 1" sottera air sensing meters work well, but are slow.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It works great sucking from a shuttle with the Venturi. We have a banjo meter on the line that uses an electronic eye no moving parts. Would never go back to a pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
I am pulling chem from barrels/totes with a venturi mounted on the sprayer. I have been useing the raven 221 flow meter FlowMax? Fluid Transfer Systems | Raven Precision . The jury is still out on it's accuracy as I am on my second one and only used it for a few weeks this fall and, while it started out good the accuracy seemed to go to $hit toward the end (just like the last one). Most of these flow meters like the banjo ones require straight pipe/hose before and after the meter for accuracy to the tune of, IIRC 10-1 ratio (2" plumbing requires 20" straight line in and out)

Last edited by Licensed to kill; 10-31-2016 at 09:18 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The 1" sottera air sensing meters work well, but are slow.
You think the flow meter is slowing it down? Is it any faster than a chem pump?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
I suck out of barrels and totes with my venturi on my chem handler. I modified my handler for this (have older one). It works very well but isn't the fastest. For liberty and glyphosate using big volumes it's just as easy to measure and mark the tote and accurate enough. That's a little harder to do when doing small amounts like in crop RR canola for example. A pump would be better that way.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I am pulling chem from barrels/totes with a venturi mounted on the sprayer. I have been useing the raven 221 flow meter FlowMax? Fluid Transfer Systems | Raven Precision . The jury is still out on it's accuracy as I am on my second one and only used it for a few weeks this fall and, while it started out good the accuracy seemed to go to $hit toward the end (just like the last one). Most of these flow meters like the banjo ones require straight pipe/hose before and after the meter for accuracy to the tune of, IIRC 10-1 ratio (2" plumbing requires 20" straight line in and out)
That's what farmtronics wants to sell me. You don't recommend I assume
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Be sure to get the right flow meter for all products. We have a meter that is a flow sensor kind of like the banjo one, and it won't read fluids like twinline.
Does the banjo read the "diesel fuel like" products?
We have a 1" Subaru pump on the trailer in case of a screw up, or having to put lots of product in.
Haven't had an issue putting up to 300L glyphosate in a 1200 gal tank, just a little slow.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anythingbutgreen View Post
You think the flow meter is slowing it down? Is it any faster than a chem pump?
Yes it is a fast or faster than a chem pump if you run the 3" water pump at full revs and have no restrictions between your handler and sprayer. BUT it is way slower than the same handler using 1.5" suction hose right out of the totes. Bought a banjo 1.5" flow meter and it just does not work with 1.5" suction line to the venturi. There is always a little bit of air running along the top of the suction line and it screws up the banjo 1.5" flow meter.

I mounted the soterra 1" air sensing flow meter close to shuttle. I really like the venturi suction on these new handlers and have no plans to ever buy another chemical pump.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Happy with our 2 ravens.for the chemicals we currently use I would never go back to pumping any of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in