Meridian Bins for Fertilizer??? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Just add celatom as you unload into the bin. It's basically really fine kitty litter. Basically a bag per btrain keeps things flowing come next spring.

daveschill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh039 View Post
Just add celatom as you unload into the bin. It's basically really fine kitty litter. Basically a bag per btrain keeps things flowing come next spring.
Where does one buy celatom? Have wanted to try that.

daveschill likes this.

Brent.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2655 Post(s)
I would look at these bins: Concept Industries | Wentworth Ag Grain Handling Equipment, Winkler, Manitoba, Canada | Providing Grain Bins, Grain Dryers

Meridian bins are mediocre at best on paint quality for fertilizer. Last two I bought I spec'd out with stainless bottom slide-gate assembly, which hopefully helps in the most problematic area.
daveschill likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I would look at these bins: Concept Industries | Wentworth Ag Grain Handling Equipment, Winkler, Manitoba, Canada | Providing Grain Bins, Grain Dryers

Meridian bins are mediocre at best on paint quality for fertilizer. Last two I bought I spec'd out with stainless bottom slide-gate assembly, which hopefully helps in the most problematic area.
We had some new WestSteel’s about 5 years ago that the expoxy started falling off inside after the first year. They came out the next summer and fixed it up.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:

I wonder if they deliver to Ontario???
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM
NDF

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Concept bins are Meridian knock offs. If you look closely you will see that they are virtually identical. The guy who started Concept was with Meridian before. Meridian has changed their paint process adding a zinc based primer in recent years to aid with paint durability for fertilizer applications. Wouldn't be able to tell you how much if any difference it makes though.
daveschill likes this.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveschill View Post
I wonder if they deliver to Ontario???
Do not know. Meridian does I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDF View Post
Concept bins are Meridian knock offs. If you look closely you will see that they are virtually identical. The guy who started Concept was with Meridian before. Meridian has changed their paint process adding a zinc based primer in recent years to aid with paint durability for fertilizer applications. Wouldn't be able to tell you how much if any difference it makes though.
I know that. I can't say if they are better or not but we never had paint issues like this with epoxy coated bins. I have Meridian bins here that were all rusty around the bottom in 3 years, and that's one fill per year and being careful not to scratch paint. I think the powder coating is a poor paint system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170215_103725.jpg (267.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170215_103739.jpg (278.8 KB, 59 views)

Orlando A. Battista
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
If I was looking for fertilizer hopper bins, I would really consider stainless steel bins. All the standard steel hopper bins I have used for fertilizer become rusty after a few years. Stainless is more expensive but I would hope it would last a lot longer.

I have nothing to do with this company but they do make stainless steel bins: https://novid.ca/index.php/hopper-bins/
daveschill likes this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skfarmboy View Post
If I was looking for fertilizer hopper bins, I would really consider stainless steel bins. All the standard steel hopper bins I have used for fertilizer become rusty after a few years. Stainless is more expensive but I would hope it would last a lot longer.

I have nothing to do with this company but they do make stainless steel bins: https://novid.ca/index.php/hopper-bins/
Those are pretty much exactly twice as much as a Meridian bin. Not sure if that is a good investment if the painted bin is done after 10 years and gets sold for 25 cents on the dollar? I'd have to look back at the quote but I think they were limited to smaller sizes than some of the painted bin mfr's.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has them, and their likes/dislikes.
Blue Oval Man likes this.

Orlando A. Battista
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Do not know. Meridian does I guess?

I know that. I can't say if they are better or not but we never had paint issues like this with epoxy coated bins. I have Meridian bins here that were all rusty around the bottom in 3 years, and that's one fill per year and being careful not to scratch paint. I think the powder coating is a poor paint system.
Concept bins have an epoxy primer and urethane liquid paint, which gets a lot better adhesion to edges and corners than most powder coat applications, and 5 year paint warranty, "IF" that would ever happen to the gate. also there's an option to convert the entire gate assembly to stainless steel which is a better cost alternative to getting a complete SS bin IMO, (~$550 upgrade). Wentworth Ag. out of Winkler sells these into Ontario as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page