Meridian Bins for Fertilizer??? - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
[QUOTE=bradw2;3059065]buy a bin with a poke hole ( I think that is pretty much standard) and don't let whoever is selling the bin talk you into one with aeration. grain and fert are 2 separate things. one needs lots of air flow one should have none.

Have you had issues or heard of issues with that? I was looking for fert bin last fall and decided on a JTL 1625 combo bin. Talked to several owners and they all happy with them. Bit more a pain taking fan off and covering hole I guess... I did the floor dry thing in bottom, poke hole and couple on top so I guess I’ll find out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
[quote=Mags;3191146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw2 View Post
buy a bin with a poke hole ( I think that is pretty much standard) and don't let whoever is selling the bin talk you into one with aeration. grain and fert are 2 separate things. one needs lots of air flow one should have none.

Have you had issues or heard of issues with that? I was looking for fert bin last fall and decided on a JTL 1625 combo bin. Talked to several owners and they all happy with them. Bit more a pain taking fan off and covering hole I guess... I did the floor dry thing in bottom, poke hole and couple on top so I guess Iíll find out...

not sure about the JTL bc they use a way different air distribution system.

typically an air duct is going to do one of : impede flow of fertilizer, provide an area for product to hang up or allow humidity into the bin...... any of which will make it harder to get flowing if product is stored for any period of time.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
for best aeration hands down, full floor flat bottom.. but hopper fert bins generally shouldn't have aeration.

some guys want the option for later on, that if they get more "big" storage they can remove the "tube" and use it for fert. later, but it is alot of management to use it for grain at the end of the year and fert. in spring (plus theres not much cost savings for fert bought in spring).

ideal storage would be specific bins for each item you store and enough room to store it all for as long as it takes for price to come up. "if i had a million dollars" or a billion...
bradw2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
i always put a plastic folie on the bottom (around 5x5ft). The weight of the urea will seal it up and normally we can cut that plastic with a carpet knife and it will start to flow right away.
I did this to my urea that went into storage last fall and it appeared to work excellent. Maybe one of the drier winter/springs recently but there was no sign of it taking on moisture at all. I put kitty litter in the poke hole.

Only problem was getting some tape to stick on the inside of the slope to hold it in place as it was a bit dusty there.

Thanks for the great tip!
JoRu likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I did this to my urea that went into storage last fall and it appeared to work excellent. Maybe one of the drier winter/springs recently but there was no sign of it taking on moisture at all. I put kitty litter in the poke hole.

Only problem was getting some tape to stick on the inside of the slope to hold it in place as it was a bit dusty there.

Thanks for the great tip!

Have done the plastic on the bottom for 2 years now and works great. Sliced it and it started flowing immediately. Only lumps are if there is a crust on top. Have started putting a sheet of plastic on the top of the bin under the lid too and I think it's helping too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page