Meridian Bins for Fertilizer??? - The Combine Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Meridian Bins for Fertilizer???

Im contemplating putting up a cluster of Meridian bins for fertilizer. Mostly Urea, MAP and Muriate.

Any thoughts or concerns on getting these products back out of the bins?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Floor dry over the traps. Couple bags. Auger in on a low-humidity day. Don't run auger wide open unless you have the power to keep it going steady and full. Minimize handling, if taking full loads get direct-to-farm rather than pulling out of retailer's plant (can't avoid if you have a blend).

What's your location?

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Earlton, Ontario. Small town in NE ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveschill View Post
Earlton, Ontario. Small town in NE ontario
I know the town. Dad looked at some farms up there between 2005-2009. Went up there and toured the area one fall with him and my brother. Almost bought a farm west of New Liskeard.

Don't know if he's a competitor in your area, but if he isn't, and Koch is still a large producer, I'd be tempted to see if he can help spin a deal input-wise. Retailers like direct-to-farm loads, especially if cash is involved (I work for a retailer, sales like this are low-investment on the side of the retailer), and depending on size of operations it might work positively both ways, maximizing buying power. But, the clay belt isn't a huge area, you guys might be fighting over land too.

Storage physically isn't a big hurdle, especially if you keep things clean and in good shape. It's the application and farm/equipment/agronomic logistics that make it difficult for some. If you have cash and already use a system like this for inputs, you're 90% of the way there.
daveschill likes this.

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
X2 on what AP said.

I had one bin of urea that never was completely emptied for 2.5 years. Kept taking out and adding some. Had a few lumps in the end but the auger broke them up by the time they got into the truck. I store a PKS blend in another bin and haven't had an issue with it either. Might have to poke some to get it flowing but never had a wreck. I'll go knock some wood now.
chance2 likes this.

Dan
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I put 4 bags of 40lb kitty litter in bottom then get in, even it out and stamp it down as much as possible. I've started siliconing the bottom gate and around the manhole on the hopper as well. As mentioned load bin on a low humidity day with your fertilizer. I then add 4 more bags of kitty litter through auger to top off bin. Lastly I use empty litter bags to create a seal under the bins lid and then I worry the rest of the year until I pull fertilizer out. My blend has NPKS so solidifies easily with moisture in the air. Also, a big dead blow hammer can be your best friend to get things moving.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
buy a bin with a poke hole ( I think that is pretty much standard) and don't let whoever is selling the bin talk you into one with aeration. grain and fert are 2 separate things. one needs lots of air flow one should have none.

I find summer fills are the worst. going in the bin hot plus allowing fertilizer to settle for another 4 months is never good. If you can hold off filling until Nov / Dec makes life a lot easier in the spring.
V876 likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Our meridian fert bins are no better than our behlens with air tube. We use to fuss with kitty litter but it made no difference. Fert attracts humidity and there is nothing you can do about it. It takes a bit of jabbing to get them going and it all has to be screened coming out. A blend with phos or esn will be fine. Urea and sulpher is worse.
RunninREDharD and SWMan like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Don't like to put blends in storage , but that's just me , afraid of no get same blend out of bin.
Would buy stainless steel trap , poke hole is just another place to let air in .
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i always put a plastic folie on the bottom (around 5x5ft). The weight of the urea will seal it up and normally we can cut that plastic with a carpet knife and it will start to flow right away.

stockton, bauerr, SWMan and 1 others like this.

Let's face it......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page