LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drylandfarmer View Post
Wrong.

Its the sulpher, trust me.
Remember the problem I had with the retail fertilizer dealer adding Canola oil to the blend? The problem went away when I asked for no oil added. Could it be some retails or manufacture add something they didnít use before? Retailer told me the manufacturer recommended the oil! drylandfarmer is right Iím sure ďitís the sulphurĒ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
Anyone else having issues with sulpher nitrogen Phos blends plugging off thier drill?

We started using our 31-11-0-6 Blend, taken home in March, got 100 acres done and plugged up every hose and distribution tower. We also started plugging the seed tubes that only had 50 lbs per acre going thru them. I have to float this **** on now and buy extra starter fert to go with the seed. It took 6 hours to pull all the hoses off and scrape off the sensors and distribution towers. Not fun work when seeding conditions are almost perfect.
Apparently Iím the only one with these problems according to CPS.
Of course you are the only one Highmarker!! Haven't we all heard that 100 times! I worked for a fertilizer dealer in the early 70s and we used to be able to predict when a rain was coming 2-3 days ahead because the dust from ground up fertilizer on the floor would turn to soaking wet slimy goo all over the floor. I do not remember which bin it was and it was mostly just one type of product. Could have been 21 0 0 24 which would follow the logic that it absorbs moisture from the air, or gets slimy from condensation because it is cold from winter storage. It was weird how the floor of the fertilizer shed would be soaking wet on a warm dry sunny day though. Or was it ammonium nitrate, 34 00 that was good for broadcasting because it dissolved so readily and went into the ground?

Could some of the dust caking issues be related to how the granules are handled? And how far they have traveled along with how many time they have been moved? Example is Black Sea product has lots of fines from moving so much. Even phos from some suppliers has a huge amount of dust which causes caking problems. Some locals have changed suppliers to get away from the excess dust that is usually a problem. Some dealers use a skid steer to move product from storage bin to blender and makes less dust.

For many different reasons and problems encountered over the years I evolved to a system of using NH3 down the point of a 5" Dutch precision paired row opener, phos either with the seed paired row or down the MRB, K and S blend down the MRB away from the seed. The S was usually good but on a wet and damp spring it could cause some caking problems. If there was caking problems it was not with seed, N or P and did not create the huge problems in a whole crop. This system was pretty reliable and saved the floater cost and allowed high rates of all products all at seeding time. I have retired and still have this drill for sale.

Highmarker likes this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's not the phos. I'm having the exact same problem with my urea/ams blend (also from CPS)
Highmarker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
For many different reasons and problems encountered over the years I evolved to a system of using NH3 down the point of a 5" Dutch precision paired row opener, phos either with the seed paired row or down the MRB, K and S blend down the MRB away from the seed. The S was usually good but on a wet and damp spring it could cause some caking problems. If there was caking problems it was not with seed, N or P and did not create the huge problems in a whole crop. This system was pretty reliable and saved the floater cost and allowed high rates of all products all at seeding time. I have retired and still have this drill for sale.

I'm almost on the same page with the drill, just NH3 in the fall. No fertilizer dramas this year.
Transaxial likes this.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We are having the same issues this year trying to put down 100n 25n 15 sulphur got 480 acres to go. dunno what to do
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
AMS is a biatch. AMS mixed with Urea is a biatch from he##, with a bad attitude.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Wow! I feel sorry for all you having S plugging. Must be 20 years since we had such a MESS and quit using AMS. Fines or Elemental S is the only way. Please stop using with Urea blends or if any humidity. Good Luck, and change your ways, life is too short to stress with Sulfur. #1 soil test to be sure you need it.

Finally warmer, but NO RAIN, crop potential going down hill(
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosioux View Post
AMS is a biatch. AMS mixed with Urea is a biatch from he##, with a bad attitude.
Truth, AMS is the worst of the straight products (that’s part of the reason fines are a thing, prills just aren’t as stable), finer product is more reactive as well (surface area). The more complex the blend the more trouble you’ll have with storage as well, 2 product blend is more stable than a 5 product blend. Obviously relative humidity when handling and seeding is a huge factor as well. Dry fert issues make liquid look more appealing all the time...
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf1969 View Post
We are having the same issues this year trying to put down 100n 25n 15 sulphur got 480 acres to go. dunno what to do
I hear you.
Been there done that.
Thankfully I just finished banding my canola ground with the dreaded blend.
Zero issues this time.
Low humidity here in the 30% range and cold temps.
I know when I had flowing issues with that stuff we spread it on and seeded next day with the drill.
I'm not sure I liked that idea much.
Think if I had to do it again I would give a pass with the cultivator and work it in, and then seed it.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oil Cooler/Blockage Prevention System

Airguard sells our Blockage Prevention System to help with this issue, but it is not always the magic bullet for bad fertilizer. We can usually decrease the Relative Humidity by about 50% and increase the air temp about 10degC. Even with that amount of difference in air temperature we have still experienced nasty fertilizer that will keep building up. That being said installing a Oil Cooler will help lessen the problem, even with really bad fertilizer caking.

Airguard Blockage Prevention System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page