Bad Fertilizer Gumming up Drill - The Combine Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Barn
Bad Fertilizer Gumming up Drill

Anyone else having issues with sulpher nitrogen Phos blends plugging off thier drill?

We started using our 31-11-0-6 Blend, taken home in March, got 100 acres done and plugged up every hose and distribution tower. We also started plugging the seed tubes that only had 50 lbs per acre going thru them. I have to float this **** on now and buy extra starter fert to go with the seed. It took 6 hours to pull all the hoses off and scrape off the sensors and distribution towers. Not fun work when seeding conditions are almost perfect.
Apparently Iím the only one with these problems according to CPS.

1967 Case 930 Comfort King with spin on filters and square fenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I have a 34-10-0-5 blend that I have been having a terrible time with. Is your phosphorous product the blonde stuff by chance?

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Urea and AMS do not get along. At all. Especially in humidity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Barn
It’s brown and grey stuff.

We’ve been using this Blend for 5 years or more and never had a problem before. Pretty frustrated lost a day of seeding and now going 30% slower hopefully in a couple days we can. Get the bins empty and then Try some fresh stuff.
No support from the fertilizer company. Our retailer has made some calls but had the same thing last year and there was nothing done to help with the issues.
You would think they would be interested in helping out a customer when thier product is not useable. I’m going with biosul or elemental something next year. Apparently ams is a poor product to blend with now so have to move on to a product that works better.
brazil08 likes this.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Had it happen in 2016 and 2015.
I was also the only one apparently. It plugged the drill more times than I like to recall. To clean out I would use big volumes of water to flush out the drill. This would clean it up in about a half hour. 2" hose and push it in a manifold and let her rip. Works good.

I documented everything when the drill plugging happened and here is what I came up with.
Any blend that had a higher sulpher load of 10# per acre or more became a problem. Canola blends were the worst. If I stored it for any length of time that made it worse. If I could get it off the truck within a day, it seemed ok.

The tan sulpher from Trail BC seemed the worst.
Durum blends that had 7 # per acre with the tan blend were ok, just the high sulpher canola blends were bad.
Pea blends that had no UREA in them had no issues.

White sulpher from Redwater did not cause issues, with any canola blends.

Not sure if this info helpful, but these were my observations. I ask now before booking where the sulpher is coming from. Don't want to deal with it again.
Highmarker, lanwickum and 8700 like this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
If the humidity is over 50% you are going to have nothing but problems with the amonium sulfate blends. To bad dealers are not willing to put elemental sulfur in the blends.
Highmarker likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Barn
I agree with everything above. I also think the -20 fert coming out of the bin is condensing water out of the air onto the fert and making everything worse. We had taken our canola blends home as late as we could in the past and this year we agreed to get it in the winter to get a better price. I think the fertilizer dealers need to realize they are selling a product that is flawed by shipping out blends ahead of time and need to be more flexible on our delivery dates.

My extra direct costs from this is around $30k for the floater, extra harrowing and extra Phos to go with the seed. And ya the Phos is a benefit but itís not in the budget or needed for this crop. Iím not including manpower or lost time in that number either.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Lots of people having similar issue around here as well. I've gone with Tiger 90 in my blend the last 3 years instead of regular sulphur and have not nearly as much trouble with my fertilizer runs gumming up.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
I agree with everything above. I also think the -20 fert coming out of the bin is condensing water out of the air onto the fert and making everything worse. We had taken our canola blends home as late as we could in the past and this year we agreed to get it in the winter to get a better price. I think the fertilizer dealers need to realize they are selling a product that is flawed by shipping out blends ahead of time and need to be more flexible on our delivery dates.

My extra direct costs from this is around $30k for the floater, extra harrowing and extra Phos to go with the seed. And ya the Phos is a benefit but itís not in the budget or needed for this crop. Iím not including manpower or lost time in that number either.
Agree with this. I refused to bin mine till right before seeding. When I priced last November they wanted pricing on only what I could take at that time. I explained the issues and storage issues and they were more flexible.

Fortunately we have lots of retailers in the area so there is lots of competition.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Discovering this as well. Am not happy about it. Urea sulphate blend

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180520_073336_1526920604700.jpg (791.5 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page