Starfire ITC. What to do? - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Thatís likely cuz your country is too flat, ha ha.
My main RTK tower is actually on the second hill of Three Hills.

I bought a 6000 last fall but installed my existing RTK transmitter, itís likely 12+ years old so itís likely 900hz. Think thatís what the dealer did.
I have read a range of 180 m to 42 km, an obvious hill to hill reading.
There is a difference between seeing the base and being able to auto steer. I know of a unit 70 km from a base that knew where it was but wouldnít steer.

This issue is it wonít find the base at 9 km. Jd dealer support are quite useless in this area and in my mind jd steering is overpriced for what it is. A different discussion though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smythricky View Post
450 MHz. This is the longer range. 900 nowhere near as far.
450 will penetrate trees/obstacles better but generally a lower frequency always has poorer range.

As a farmer, you learn quick: ďYou donít get anything that you donít work hard forĒ
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4449 Post(s)
Quote:
This issue is it wonít find the base at 9 km. Jd dealer support are quite useless in this area and in my mind jd steering is overpriced for what it is. A different discussion though
Some thing weird for sure.
Overpriced? If they were priced like tvís there is likely less than 100$ís of electronic components.
jcalder likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Low frequency has better range. That's why AM radio has such a long reach. It runs in kHz. But that's also one of the reasons the audio quality sucks on AM compared to FM which runs on higher frequencies in MHz .

Look at cell phone towers. In rural areas, generally speaking, they use 850 MHz so they can get range off fewer towers, but the drawback is slower speed due to the lower frequency not being able to support as much data. In urban areas the towers are closer together but put on higher frequencies, such as 1700 or 2100 MHz .

It's blatantly obvious with the LTE network in Manitoba. For some reason Bell or MTS or whoever runs the towers now has LTE deployed mainly on 1700/2100 which is why unless you're standing at the base of the tower you generally only have 1-2 bars of signal. Then turn LTE off on your phone, it'll go to 3G and probably have full bars of signal since for the most part the 3G network in MB is on 850 MHz . I realize this is an overly simplified example but that's generally how it works.

The problem with this guys RTK is either a receiver or radio issue as the signal from a 450 MHz base should go a long, long way.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
450 will penetrate trees/obstacles better but generally a lower frequency always has poorer range.
First time Iíve been told this. Many others have told me, and experience of both radios, line of sight a 450 radio will always travel further.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Some thing weird for sure.
Overpriced? If they were priced like tvís there is likely less than 100$ís of electronic components.
Very overpriced. There are cheaper options which I believe to be better. Not everyone will agree but all jd displays up until the gen 4 are very poor. Gen 4 is an improvement but still has limitations they are slowly fixing with software.

My opion so worth exactly what it cost.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
Low frequency has better range. That's why AM radio has such a long reach. It runs in kHz. But that's also one of the reasons the audio quality sucks on AM compared to FM which runs on higher frequencies in MHz .

Look at cell phone towers. In rural areas, generally speaking, they use 850 MHz so they can get range off fewer towers, but the drawback is slower speed due to the lower frequency not being able to support as much data. In urban areas the towers are closer together but put on higher frequencies, such as 1700 or 2100 MHz .

It's blatantly obvious with the LTE network in Manitoba. For some reason Bell or MTS or whoever runs the towers now has LTE deployed mainly on 1700/2100 which is why unless you're standing at the base of the tower you generally only have 1-2 bars of signal. Then turn LTE off on your phone, it'll go to 3G and probably have full bars of signal since for the most part the 3G network in MB is on 850 MHz . I realize this is an overly simplified example but that's generally how it works.

The problem with this guys RTK is either a receiver or radio issue as the signal from a 450 MHz base should go a long, long way.
Iíll have to look into this GVE sold me the 900mhz equipment when I put up my tower saying it would have better range.

As a farmer, you learn quick: ďYou donít get anything that you donít work hard forĒ
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:56 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4449 Post(s)
Quote:
My opion so worth exactly what it cost.
Your opinion AND 3.40 will get me a bus ride in Calgary!
jcalder likes this.

Last edited by Don Boles; 04-02-2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Huh, use to be 3.25!
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Back to the original topic of this post. Trading in my 2600 monitor and ITC receiver to local JD dealer for a new 6000 receiver and a new 2630 monitor. Don't want to get caught in the rush when ITC is toast. Plus everyone and there dog are looking for a used 3000. Dealer said he didn't know how many more 2600's he'd be taking in on trade. Lot of guys are upgrading right now. Can't see the 6000 or the monitor getting any cheaper in the next year or 2. Could have a got a used 6 year old 2630 for about $2200 cheaper then new. No warranty. Went with new.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
My dealer wouldn't even take my ITC on trade so I am just going to use it until the deadline

Ozzie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page