SP for rough country. - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
If you can get to a 2012 or newer Rogator it will blow the doors off those other choices on durability and ride. The Patriot sprayers are not known for ride quality and struggle through ditches and uneven ground. The other two are known to have boom issues although the ride should be better.

The only Gators available in my price bracket are 2008 and older so that kite aint going to fly. Re the Patriot what do you mean "struggle through ditches and uneven ground". Is it tractive power or boom stability you are referring to? There is one 2009 Case SPX4420 I can afford, has 5k hours though and no mention of wheel motors being overhauled or replaced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
We are happy with our 4930. Only 2500hrs but really has been trouble free. Rides nice, boom is maybe a bit less stable than the newer ones, but I don't find it to be a big issue. Cab is loud, but comfortable. Still the best GPS system, and the solution system is simple.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsy060 View Post
We are happy with our 4930. Only 2500hrs but really has been trouble free. Rides nice, boom is maybe a bit less stable than the newer ones, but I don't find it to be a big issue. Cab is loud, but comfortable. Still the best GPS system, and the solution system is simple.

Thanks for your feedback. What is your country like? Im mainly working on land that was in forestry but has been reverted to farming so is pretty rough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Local bluegum contractor has a case 4420 with about 6500hrs on it, the only sprayer he hasn't pulled the boom off and replaced it with a little 40' home made one. A few getting round the wimmera with pretty big hours on them now.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2653 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
The only Gators available in my price bracket are 2008 and older so that kite aint going to fly. Re the Patriot what do you mean "struggle through ditches and uneven ground". Is it tractive power or boom stability you are referring to? There is one 2009 Case SPX4420 I can afford, has 5k hours though and no mention of wheel motors being overhauled or replaced.
Very little frame flex on a Patriot. Drive at an angle through a ditch slowly and wheels come off the ground and you are stuck, need momentum to make it. There is an "active suspension" I believe it's called that has a hydraulic cylinder on each side of the front suspension, mine all had that so I can't say how much worse it would be without.

Kind of depends on what type of rough ground? Ditches, ruts, lumps, etc. The Patriot is a good sprayer no doubt, just saying that my RG1100 is immensely smoother.

With those sorts of hours the maintenance regime becomes pretty important I would suspect, sloppy and worn parts won't make things smooth. Good luck.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I currently run a new holland sp.333f which is a blue miller and a jd 4940. Used to run a 4930. If your main concern is durabilty then go with the Deere. Its not even close. The miller rides ok but a lot of that is the air ride cab. That doesn't help the frame mounted booms any. The mono boom isn't the best but is very easy to fix. The boom breakaways are a complete joke. The Deere boom is just better.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Very little frame flex on a Patriot. Drive at an angle through a ditch slowly and wheels come off the ground and you are stuck, need momentum to make it. There is an "active suspension" I believe it's called that has a hydraulic cylinder on each side of the front suspension, mine all had that so I can't say how much worse it would be without.

Kind of depends on what type of rough ground? Ditches, ruts, lumps, etc. The Patriot is a good sprayer no doubt, just saying that my RG1100 is immensely smoother.

With those sorts of hours the maintenance regime becomes pretty important I would suspect, sloppy and worn parts won't make things smooth. Good luck.

When I say rough I'm not talking about ditches or hillsides etc. Landscape is generally flat. More actually holes, lumps and ridges. Basically left after country has been mounded and bluegums grown then harvested. The reversion contractors grind the stumps, rake off the trash and in theory level the surface but its still rough. Especially in the hard laterite and ironstone rock country.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Just hire this guy.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Quote:
A guy from this area used to do all his spraying with an Ag Plane. They buried him 20 odd years ago, clipped a powerline on a turn and cartwheeled in. Very sad for his family and the district.
Speaking of powerlines, every few years I hear of someone in north America hitting a powerline with his sprayer boom and dying. It always seemed to me the New Holland mono boom is an accident waiting to happen that way. The way the booms end up sticking way up in the air as they fold or unfold has always worried me. In fact my cousin's hired man hit an insulated overhead line in the yard unfolding (220v only). Scared him pretty bad. Our Patriot's booms unfold forward, and also the whole thing drops way down as it unfolds so I'm not quite as worried about unfolding or folding near power lines. Still pays to be careful and always be aware of what's nearby and above!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsy060 View Post

Thanks for your feedback. What is your country like? Im mainly working on land that was in forestry but has been reverted to farming so is pretty rough?
We're hilly with lots of trees. Though we do keep our fields smooth, I've been through my share of rough stuff. Boom has held up well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page