SP for rough country. - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
SP for rough country.

So I'm looking at getting an SP for spraying. Currently running a 120ft tugalong but the ha are increasing and the utility tractor is needed for spreading, rolling etc at the same time. Continuously changing is getting old as well as taking up too much time. Machines available in my price range are JD4930, Nitro 4315/4365. Case Patriots are a bit more dollars than I can afford. As most of my spraying is on pretty rough country which boom is more durable? I wonder if the Nitro monobooms can stand the pounding as well as a truss boom?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
If you're considering the JD 4930 on rough land, consider the 4940 instead. JD mechanic tells me the 4930s have all kinds of frame cracking issues. the 4940s were built stronger (adding around 2,000kg) and should last better for ya. I'm not sure about booms, nor how it compares to the other brands. Within the JD line, the R series are supposed to have stronger booms, but big $$.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
I would look at suspension first for rough country, someone still has to sit in the thing. Good suspension saves the boom, operator and overall machine. Case would be my first choice out of the list you gave. Fwiw, my old hagie with terrible suspension and lots of hours on really bad terrain with a truss boom is in good shape considering. And they have one of the weakest booms out there. I had a 3330 for 2 years and that boom held up well, nice and stiff. Not sure how the mono are, but I did see a NH mono laying on the ground last year. Not sure what happened though.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
If you can get to a 2012 or newer Rogator it will blow the doors off those other choices on durability and ride. The Patriot sprayers are not known for ride quality and struggle through ditches and uneven ground. The other two are known to have boom issues although the ride should be better.
joesixpack and SK Farmer like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Yeah +1 to rogators. Built like tanks. Although I found the patriot better than deere on ride, but I only ran deere as a fill in operator for 2 weeks.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Airplane.
Snipe and adsinaus like this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
When we were shopping for a sprayer this winter, we found a bunch of sprayers for sale out in Sask somewhere. I think he was selling like 5 patriots. When we asked him why he was selling them, he said he had bought a spray plane. I assume he has a pilot on staff. I am very curious to see how this is going to work out for him.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
When we were shopping for a sprayer this winter, we found a bunch of sprayers for sale out in Sask somewhere. I think he was selling like 5 patriots. When we asked him why he was selling them, he said he had bought a spray plane. I assume he has a pilot on staff. I am very curious to see how this is going to work out for him.

A guy from this area used to do all his spraying with an Ag Plane. They buried him 20 odd years ago, clipped a powerline on a turn and cartwheeled in. Very sad for his family and the district.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Yeah +1 to rogators. Built like tanks. Although I found the patriot better than deere on ride, but I only ran deere as a fill in operator for 2 weeks.

A neighbour used to run a Rogator, found his comb trailer handy for dropping the boom on to take to town to be welded up. Now runs a Deere. Perhaps we get the ones made by the apprentices here!!!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
A neighbour used to run a Rogator, found his comb trailer handy for dropping the boom on to take to town to be welded up. Now runs a Deere. Perhaps we get the ones made by the apprentices here!!!!
The older models had leaf spring suspension I believe, after 2012 air ride.

I've tried them all and Agrifac is the smoothest but better be sitting down when you ask the price on those. Although nothing new is cheap these days.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page