The right nozzle for the right job - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
The right nozzle for the right job

I ask this question in the nozzle ninja thread it might be better suited here.

What would you guys think is the best nozzle for aim command. I have .06 grey ones for 5-7 gallons. And .08 the white ones for 10-14 gallons. Would a guy try the 1.0 the light blue ones for 10-14 or more and tern the psi to 80-90 for good coverage? I have a lot of acreage around me that it seems when I’m out there spraying there standing at the edge of the field or hiding behind a tree watching for drift. I’m Always looking for better nozzles. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
the volume of the nozzles is the 05, 06, 08 designation. Equally as important is the size of the droplets, which is labeled differently by each manufacturer. For example Wilger uses ER, MR, DR and something for the Ultra coarse.

Bigger the droplets, the more volume you need per acre to get adequate coverage.

I find that certain herbicides have a fine lingering odor that makes everyone think that the drift is much worse than it actually is. Maybe try and avoid those products if you have a choice.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Are you talking about herbicide? What speeds do you want to go?

Like Twix says, droplet size is your primary means of controlling drift. Larger droplets mean less drift, but also poorer coverage. So it's a trade off. Higher PSI means smaller droplets and more dift-able fines. If you need to make a pass along an acreage, consider dropping the PSI a ways. Say to 50 or 60 (or lower if you need to). And slow way down.

Going to a bigger nozzle will make bigger droplets, but if you just crank up the pressure then your duty cycle is going to drop. I don't know what the ideal duty cycle is, but I prefer to keep it above 70% as much as I can.

Wilger has a nice tip wizard online that can let you choose nozzles for the speeds, volume, and droplet size you want. Or you can put your current nozzle type in and find out what droplet size you're likely to get at different PSIs. https://www.wilger.net/tip-wizard/ or there's an app for iPhones and Android.

I must just be a slow operator, but I have MR03s for 5 gpa, SR06s for 8-10 gpa, and right now have 08s for 14-20 gpa (too slow). I need to pick up a set of 10s, probably ER 10 to get the droplet size I am used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
What brand of nozzles are you using and are they twin jets or single fan? I personally like my grey 06 twin turbo tee jet nozzles for the AIM command for 6-10 gallon per acre. When I am spraying over 10 gallon per acre like 14-20 I use the same nozzle but turn on the 03 non Aim nozzle flat fan nozzle in front of the twin turbo so I have three streams of spray spraying - 2 forward and one back. This gives great coverage and lots of capacity to spray lots of gallons at a good speed. The 06 twin turbo tees can be run at 20 psi to give great drift control when spraying next to a sensative crop. I usually try run them 40-55 psi when possible.
torriem likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Wilger MR is a good all around nozzle.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
What brand of nozzles are you using and are they twin jets or single fan? I personally like my grey 06 twin turbo tee jet nozzles for the AIM command for 6-10 gallon per acre. When I am spraying over 10 gallon per acre like 14-20 I use the same nozzle but turn on the 03 non Aim nozzle flat fan nozzle in front of the twin turbo so I have three streams of spray spraying - 2 forward and one back. This gives great coverage and lots of capacity to spray lots of gallons at a good speed. The 06 twin turbo tees can be run at 20 psi to give great drift control when spraying next to a sensative crop. I usually try run them 40-55 psi when possible.
I’m just using turbo tees. Spraying herbicides. I do spray at 45-50 psi and drop the psi down to 25 psi passing sensitive areas and slow down to 8 mph. Spraying liberty I travel no more than 11mph at 50 psi. And boom low to the ground. I find that if you go faster than that you get a lot of drift with it. I always go slow doing the head lands then if the condition are right giver. Fore fungicides I use the 08 white ones and tern the psi up to 70 psi. And go 11mph at that speed the booms react better for more consistent height over the crop
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Have you tried the twin turbo tees?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
Have you tried the twin turbo tees?
No I have not
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
If you are using the single turbo Tee's, you are doing everything you can now for drift control other than maybe lowering your pressure to 18-20 psi for extra control. Twin turbo tee's will give you better coverage with less drift control. We run a 06 twin turbo and 03 and 04 single turbo's.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
If your main concern is drift then wilger has some good options. The mr series are very good. Especially the larger sizes. Also might want to try adding valid. It really does help reduce fines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page