Late seeded wheat- split chem application? - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Due to the cluster **** of a spring we've had, got a section of mid June seeded hrsw that unevenly emerged and is in the 2-4 leaf stage. Initially was canola which then froze and got raped by flea beetles simultaneously.

It got a .75L of 360 gly way back in early May and then wasn't touched again till now. The boys went and drilled wheat into it and I never got around to giving it a proper burndown before the wheat came up.

Currently a carpet of big juicy dandelions and hawksbeard and the odd surviving canola plant.

So basically my question is, if I'm giving it a full rate of Dyvel (6oz/175ish g MCPA, 1.5oz/42.5g banvel per acre) and 3g/ac of Ally/Metsulfuron, can I go back in when the wheat is fully tillered and hit it again with 24d to really burn down the dandelions?

Last edited by Slashnburn2; 07-03-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Good god no. 24D???? Yield crusher at any time IMO

SWMan likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

We re so dry I'm more concerned about them sucking moisture all summer vs the yield drag from the 24d. Just don't want to fry a section with too much chemical.

Assuming they survive this first round of chem of course. Just kinda want a contingency other than just pre harvest dessication, although that will ultimately be in the cards anyways at this point.

Last edited by Slashnburn2; 07-03-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
I guess if you stage it the best you can on the majority of the wheat and we’re talking a pile of dandy’s
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I guess if you stage it the best you can on the majority of the wheat and we’re talking a pile of dandy’s
Loads of dandies. You could play "the floor is lava" and not get your feet warm. Someone with more sense would have hit it twice with sweeps ahead of the drill.

Drought hardened dandies don't die they just take a break till next year. Couldn't get the fall burn down on due to the weather. I've got one bean quarter that took like combined 4 L of 360 gly, sencor pre, and 6g of express, still has the odd survivor. I'm pretty sure the cultivator is more moisture conserving at this point.

Last edited by Slashnburn2; 07-03-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Could go back with momentum and McPa instead of 24d.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Where are you located? Will it even have a chance to make it if it's only in the 2-4 leaf stage right now? It wouldn't make it here for sure, even barley would be hit and miss. Nothing really completely kills dandelions in my experience in crop, only suppression, best time is post harvest, the later the better.
Border Farmer likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Where are you located? Will it even have a chance to make it if it's only in the 2-4 leaf stage right now? It wouldn't make it here for sure, even barley would be hit and miss. Nothing really completely kills dandelions in my experience in crop, only suppression, best time is post harvest, the later the better.
North/central Interlake

Have had beans make it, seeded on the 26th of June, not too worried about the wheat.

Crop insurance seeding deadline was the 20th, went in on the 12th after we finally gave up on the canola but was so dry it didn't emerge till it rained a week later. One section of that drill seems to have went slightly off vs the rest which is why it's 2-3 leaf in some rows, came up 2 days behind the rest of the field.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnburn2 View Post
Due to the cluster **** of a spring we've had, got a section of mid June seeded hrsw that unevenly emerged and is in the 2-4 leaf stage. Initially was canola which then froze and got raped by flea beetles simultaneously.

It got a .75L of 360 gly way back in early May and then wasn't touched again till now. The boys went and drilled wheat into it and I never got around to giving it a proper burndown before the wheat came up.

Currently a carpet of big juicy dandelions and hawksbeard and the odd surviving canola plant.

So basically my question is, if I'm giving it a full rate of Dyvel (6oz/175ish g MCPA, 1.5oz/42.5g banvel per acre) and 3g/ac of Ally/Metsulfuron, can I go back in when the wheat is fully tillered and hit it again with 24d to really burn down the dandelions?
You are at the right stage to spray Banvel, 2-5 leaf, but the dandelions are probably too big but what other options do you have. Dicamba in any form is very hard on the crop so how much of a setback are you going to get to a very late crop? I was just going through the Blue Book looking for options to spray the lawn around the farm and there are not many good options to even suppress dandelion, specially big mature ones. The book limits control to 15 cm diameter and 25 cm tall. I am thinking they are a lot bigger than that. Same on my lawn. A couple of good options for the lawn are Curtail M (clopyralid and MCPA ester) or Refine and 24D ester. Would those be safer on your wheat than dicamba? Another newer and good chemical could be Infinity (prasulfotole and bromoxynil) that lists dandelion as controlled in the smaller stages. Tundra is another one that I have no experience with that has bromoxynil and pyrasulfotole along with fenoxaprop for wild oats. Out of all these Refine and 24D would almost be my first choice for my lawn and maybe your wheat too. Buctril has always been an easy chemical on the crop and gets a pretty good hit on the spectrum of the old weeds like dandelion. Just top up the Buctril with MCPA to 8 oz/ac. Let us know what you do and how it worked.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnburn2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Loads of dandies. You could play "the floor is lava" and not get your feet warm. Someone with more sense would have hit it twice with sweeps ahead of the drill.

Drought hardened dandies don't die they just take a break till next year. Couldn't get the fall burn down on due to the weather. I've got one bean quarter that took like combined 4 L of 360 gly, sencor pre, and 6g of express, still has the odd survivor. I'm pretty sure the cultivator is more moisture conserving at this point.
Had good luck with simplicity and refine on dandelions this year. Dont know the rate of refine added though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page