Late chemical options for wheat - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Get it done wild oats will haunt you for years if you let them go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:20 PM
bap

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I don't have much to add except that wild oats can really hurt...however if the wheat is getting too big I would also recommend something like axial/infinnity as it seems to be alot easier on the crop and wont set it back as much as velocity(group 2 residual oat killer)...It might not work as good but the main thing is for the wheat to stay ahead of everything if it is getting away on a guy...

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I keep thinking about this thread (probably because i just had to spray a newly rented 1/2 again because of wild oats) and really am a bit baffled your even considering not spraying again unless there was a green feed or silage option. Even if it was $30 loss it’s worth it. I rented a 1/2 2 years ago coarse I never heard all the stories about how shitty 1/2 was farmed for 35 yrs. Owner gave me lab sample of group 1 resistance on south 1/4 after I had already rented of coarse so sprayed group 2 on half and turns out north quarter resistant to group 2. There’s a huge seed bank in the soil and very expensive to rectify not sure it’s even possible in my working lifetime.

Put avedex down last fall which was great for cereals so far. We don’t have a Valmar and wasn’t one to rent for 500 km so scrounged up an old no-debt and hung my arm out the back window turning gears on/off after I cleaned all the dead mice out of it and fixing hoses.

Point being don’t let those wild oats go to seed!!!!!!
RunninREDharD likes this.

Last edited by Mags; 07-06-2019 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I hate wind oats more than Don hates his CAT tandem.
Spray that crop!
To be honest the wheat was starting to head out when sprayed with Axial. Chem hurt it a bit but fuc*ed the wild oats and they never went to seed. Seamed to stunt the straw but seed was filled and all good until snow dumped on it last fall.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Settled on Achieve liquid + mextrol on the stuff that's nearly booting, Horizon + octtain on the later. It's getting Edge this fall and will be in 233P next year, so the carry over isn't much of a concern. Didn't think anything would grow with how late it was put in and how dry it was, agrologist said the stand looked "excellent" though so that kind of threw a loop into things. Coming from years of less than adequate weed control (resistant green foxtail in the area) so it would have been green feed if it wasn't done. Thanks guys
RunninREDharD likes this.

Last edited by Cosmo; 07-06-2019 at 04:05 AM. Reason: background
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I would lean more to treflan than edge. I used lots of edge last fall and some treflan. Edge sucks on wild oats, better on Kochia.
Treflan works better on wild oats and poor on kochia. Edge is priced out of this world even with there discounts.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Dude if you haven’t got a sprayer man lined up I’d get the f;(k on it ..... everything everyone else said above x1000 ....^^^^..... I’ve used axial when its flagging and it did work ok but that was a re spray job that did not work for whatever reason .....but the wild oats had cost me a lot by that point .... get er done now !!!!!
Oat King likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
I have once sprayed winter wheat with axial and a bronate/MCPA (vendeta) while heading and it was worth it. I found no damage to the crop. Called my dad and double checked when I pulled up to the field and he said go for it. It was worth it. The crop was very healthy and looking good. So were the weeds. Those two make an excellent combo. I have often sprayed fields with those two and it would make them look better. Must be the safener in the axial. Yes, go for it and get it sprayed. Wild oats will haunt a person for the next 10-20 years.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
My only concern with late crop spraying is what residuals remain in the seeds (is that a concern for anyone?) since most say you should wait 60 days before harvest.

I always look at that and wonder why they always put that on the label. Achieve is a good product and it is the last gun to shoot off on group 1 resistance. Fop and Den are the most common resistant Group 1 I believe. I think you spray a group 2 twice on the resistant strains and you are pretty well finished on group 2. JMO

I have gone to avadex and FMC products. Although expensive, I can't see myself ever putting on edge at $25/acre as a powder blowing in the wind from a Valmar applicator in SW Saskatchewan. I have had no success with Edge although I have never put it on with a heavy harrow - really don't want the land to blow away as I break up the little surface straw I have in the last drought years. Again, JMO.

I have to agree with everyone, you can't miss an opportunity to spray. That clump of kochia that you didn't wipe out can be the one that spreads throughout your field and resistant to everything known to man!

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post
My only concern with late crop spraying is what residuals remain in the seeds (is that a concern for anyone?) since most say you should wait 60 days before harvest.

I always look at that and wonder why they always put that on the label. Achieve is a good product and it is the last gun to shoot off on group 1 resistance. Fop and Den are the most common resistant Group 1 I believe. I think you spray a group 2 twice on the resistant strains and you are pretty well finished on group 2. JMO

I have gone to avadex and FMC products. Although expensive, I can't see myself ever putting on edge at $25/acre as a powder blowing in the wind from a Valmar applicator in SW Saskatchewan. I have had no success with Edge although I have never put it on with a heavy harrow - really don't want the land to blow away as I break up the little surface straw I have in the last drought years. Again, JMO.

I have to agree with everyone, you can't miss an opportunity to spray. That clump of kochia that you didn't wipe out can be the one that spreads throughout your field and resistant to everything known to man!
Have to see if he can get in to do it, guess there was over an inch again yesterday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page