Case 4430 hydraulic oil level sight glass vs alarm - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vers375

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Case 4430 hydraulic oil level sight glass vs alarm

I was doing some maintenance on our 4430 the other day and noticed that the hydraulic tank was right full of oil. So full that when it got hot it would seep a little bit out the various gaskets on top (the top of the tank is always a bit damp it looks like). Also when the oil was hot I would get the bypass light on sometimes. The dealer recommended replacing the filter, which I have now done. Wonder if it had to do with the pressure in the tank, though.

In the manual it says to fill the tank to the level indicated by the thermometer in the sight glass. That way there's adequate room for expansion as it gets hot. However I found out that when I do this, the low oil level alarm comes on and won't turn off until the tank is almost full completely again. Why does Case have a sight glass with a thermometer built into it when the alarm isn't anywhere close to that level? I took the sensor out and it looks okay; the floats seem to move properly and is not adjustable at all. Service manager told me every Patriot sprayer they've ever seen has the tank right full. Just seems odd to me. Are all patriots really like this? Does the sensor needs to be replaced? Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On my 4430 the oil level is at the sight glass level and the light comes when oil is cold and making turns at headland once oil is warmed up the light stays off. On my previous sprayer a 4410 it did the same as yours I changed tank sensor and it was good after that.

torriem likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Ours is a 2011 not sure if that makes a difference in sensors. It's currently parked on an incline nose down so my tank level is estimating but it looks like about 1.5" from the top maybe 2" when level. Basically the top of the sight glass.

Blew an oring on the back a couple years ago. All I remember doing was filling it up to the top of the sight glass. It has a sticker indicating the range. Have never had the tank sensor go off except when it was leaking. Looks like at some point oil was weeping out either the top of the sight glass or those pipes/assembly on the top of the tank but it's been dry for a while. Evidently reached an equilibrium on its own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Interesting. If I were to follow the numbers on the sight glass, at 20 degrees C, it would be about 0.75" from the bottom of the sight glass. Right now I have mine filled to about the middle and the alarm goes off a little bit when it's cold like Vers375's, but usually it's fine when it gets warm. I will probably add another half gallon to it. I will price out the sensor, but I think I am inclined to leave it be with the tank slightly on the full side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page