Barley. - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Barley.

My barley has been in the boot Sense last Friday and is starting to flower in the boot. Should we even think of spraying fungicide sense the head is not fully out and it’s already flowering. I think we miss the window. What do you think. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
that is the perfect timing. Just as heads are emerging. I usually hit mine twice with a reduced rate, just to get some of the tillers.

wheatking likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddermd View Post
that is the perfect timing. Just as heads are emerging. I usually hit mine twice with a reduced rate, just to get some of the tillers.
Good idea on the second pass. I think I will do that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Go spray it. Even if you don’t get the full fusarium benefit the leaf disease control will pay for its self in plumper heavier grain. If you’ve had rain recently you can bet your going to see diseases spread like crazy in the damp humid conditions. Splitting the application and going twice will give you extended control on leaf disease but id question if half rate is going to give you enough active ingredient to do fuz.
wheatking likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last gen farmer View Post
Go spray it. Even if you don’t get the full fusarium benefit the leaf disease control will pay for its self in plumper heavier grain. If you’ve had rain recently you can bet your going to see diseases spread like crazy in the damp humid conditions. Splitting the application and going twice will give you extended control on leaf disease but id question if half rate is going to give you enough active ingredient to do fuz.
Yeah your right. Where I have the barley we had anywhere from 2.5-4.5” of rain. I’m very surprise that no water is running off the fields. Man alive we where dry! If we get another 1” or two the water will start to run off. It just seams every time we have to spray fungicides it’s on a weekend. I would like to go camping
saskfarmboy likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip clutch View Post
Yeah your right. Where I have the barley we had anywhere from 2.5-4.5” of rain. I’m very surprise that no water is running off the fields. Man alive we where dry! If we get another 1” or two the water will start to run off. It just seams every time we have to spray fungicides it’s on a weekend. I would like to go camping
Forget about camping until middle of the week. Less people there lol. I had about 4 inches on Monday afternoon and Tuesday. I dug down six inches and the soil is still hard and dry. I think a lot of the water went down the cracks. Give it another week and I could use a couple more inche. Tell the wife it’s no camping because your going spraying to earn enough money to take her away somewhere warm this winter. Lol.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

So this barley thing. The staging is so f up. Because of the dryness before all the rain. That the heads are 50% sill in the boot and starting to plump up. I’m thinking the boot is going to hold moister and bugger the head. So Just leave it or spray it. I’m leaning to not spray. Spray won’t work anyway.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 11:37 AM

Depends on yield potential. Even if those heads are in the leaf sheath they will still need the leaves to fill. I’d still spray for leaf disease,especially with the rain we’ve had. Thin light barley won’t pay many bills. Even if the vom is higher there will be good demand from the cattle boys.
wheatking likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip clutch View Post
starting to flower in the boot
This is normal for barley isnt it?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

This is normal for barley isnt it?[/QUOTE]

All the other years it came out of the boot flower then elongate. In my part of the world anyways. Again we are always wet but not this year till now. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page