BASF hunting generic users - The Combine Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
BASF hunting generic users

Apparently BASF is on the warpath over the use of generics on Invigor canola and Clearfield lentils. Based on the LTA agreement with the canola and seed commitment on lentils it is illegal? to use any product other than BASF products. They have been auditing farmers all over the countryside to see what products they have been using. So far they have only removed the farmer from their programming if they are using generics.

What are everyone’s thoughts on using generics when the contract you sign says you can’t. Are we abusing their research and technology by using generics on seed they have developed? Or is the use of generics a good way to keep a company honest?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2784 Post(s)
This really irritates me. As far as I recall I never signed an agreement with BASF, it was with Bayer and would have carried forward. Years ago Bayer saw the patent was coming off Liberty and they dropped the price of it to fend off generics. At the same time the price of the seed jumped and the reasoning was that by buying the seed we were "paying for the technology"....usually in December of the previous year.

So if BASF wants to get stupid they should be aware that there is other Glufosinate tolerant shatter resistant canola out there, also most of their recycled and re-named actives have generics as well. So it wouldn't really be that hard to eliminate BASF from the shopping list!

Remember these are the guys that often short the market of product, now they are whining about not making sales...

Transaxial, drp and KGM like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Unfortunately with Clearfield lentils there are no other herbicide tolerant options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Most of the research is done at the u of s. So who real paid for it. $18.75 and acre for ares on clearfield lentils is alittle steep. Compared To 20% rate of generic pursuit
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
I guess technically if you don't want to follow the rules of the contract you shouldn't sign it. Farmers are not above contract law. Grow something else that you are willing to abide by by the terms of the contract you sign.

If no one uses their stuff, terms will change.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I agree on the generics we developed the tech through checkoff.... but on the other hand I did sign the agreement at the beginning so.....

personally I think that there is more going on there than the generic chemicals. Crop Development center is renegotiating next round of funding agreements with partner producer groups right now and want to start charging end point royalties. i think basf sees a chance to begin collecting end point royalties on that technology in 3 years and that is why there are so anal about keeping track of who has the seed right now.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Funny when i bought my house there was some deficiencies, when we went to the builders to get them fixed the builder had sold to another company, and apparently did not have to honer the contract since the original builder didn't technically exist.

Would be interesting to get a legal beagle input on contract law, where the one of the party is bought out. Companies are always changing names to get out of contracts.
One thing i know, is when one company rakes it in as good as these seed companies are doing, others are going to want to get in on the game, just a matter of time.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2784 Post(s)
My point is there is huge margin in canola seed and supposedly not in the Liberty portion of the equation. Why on earth would they burn bridges with their loyal seed customers over some generic Liberty sales? Seems like a really bad idea to me, but yeah the contract pretty much allows them to do whatever they want.

The seed royalty thing is not dead, I was reading my seed growers newsletter the other day and they are very much going to pursue that further.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmiffy View Post
Most of the research is done at the u of s. So who real paid for it. $18.75 and acre for ares on clearfield lentils is alittle steep. Compared To 20% rate of generic pursuit
Ares was actually sold to another company along with clearfield canola. You’re technically not allowed to spray it on clearfield lentils now, so if you do get audited be sure to not mention Ares. Whole thing is a total joke.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettle View Post
Unfortunately with Clearfield lentils there are no other herbicide tolerant options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauppfarms View Post
Ares was actually sold to another company along with clearfield canola. You’re technically not allowed to spray it on clearfield lentils now, so if you do get audited be sure to not mention Ares. Whole thing is a total joke.
Never heard anything about or told when when I bought the chemical

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in