Accent Q and Other Questions - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Accent Q and Other Questions

A little late now, but I'd like some information for the ol' memory bank....

1st, has anyone had areas of a field where Accent Q was a total failure? I sprayed a Dicamba product with Accent Q for the grasses. Had a pretty good infestation of both crab grass and quack grass. You could see the broadleaves withering and dying amongst the grass, which was pretty much laughing at me the whole time.

Second question, if this happens, other than Liberty or Glyphosate, are there any other options to kill GRASS in corn at a later stage like that???? First off, money no object, then any advice on the economics of it all.

Thanks all.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone95 View Post
A little late now, but I'd like some information for the ol' memory bank....

1st, has anyone had areas of a field where Accent Q was a total failure? I sprayed a Dicamba product with Accent Q for the grasses. Had a pretty good infestation of both crab grass and quack grass. You could see the broadleaves withering and dying amongst the grass, which was pretty much laughing at me the whole time.

Second question, if this happens, other than Liberty or Glyphosate, are there any otheroptions to kill GRASS in corn at a later stage like that???? First off, money no object, then any advice on the economics of it all.

Thanks all.

Callisto will kill the crab grass, never had any “quack grass”, had a few quackheads for employees though.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Consider yourself lucky on no quack grass, it's a regular around here, and tough. The Callisto label doesn't list it, and it looks like mostly a broadleaf killer to me. Hmm....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky on no quack grass, it's a regular around here, and tough. The Callisto label doesn't list it, and it looks like mostly a broadleaf killer to me. Hmm....
So I did a little more research, I do a lot of turf grass and this has me stumped so I thumbed through my books, we have Quackgrass and just call it witchgrass. Callisto/tenacity (mesotrione) won’t kill it. Neither will quinclorac. Nothing selective anyone I know knows of will kill the rhizomes. mesotrione will turn it white and make you think it’s dead but it always comes back. All three of my manuals say it has to be spot treated with a non selective.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Doesn't atz control grass to an extent?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnburn2 View Post
Yes, but I do not have a restricted use license. Need one for that in this state.

The dealer told me the Accent Q should have controlled it. I have used it in the past on different fields, and it seems like it controlled pretty good. This time, it laughed at me!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexionman575 View Post
So I did a little more research, I do a lot of turf grass and this has me stumped so I thumbed through my books, we have Quackgrass and just call it witchgrass. Callisto/tenacity (mesotrione) wonít kill it. Neither will quinclorac. Nothing selective anyone I know knows of will kill the rhizomes. mesotrione will turn it white and make you think itís dead but it always comes back. All three of my manuals say it has to be spot treated with a non selective.
I've been rereading the Accent Q label just for kicks. Interesting, it lists Quackgrass and witchgrass separately. Maybe a regional name they want to be sure is understood? But lists different target heights for the 2, so IDK....I appreciate your time and thoughts, thank you.

My best guess is it was a little too tall, and yet also stressed/ not growing well from the BS weather we've been having.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnburn2 View Post
Yes, but I do not have a restricted use license. Need one for that in this state.
I thought this was america
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Quote:

The dealer told me the Accent Q should have controlled it. I have used it in the past on different fields, and it seems like it controlled pretty good. This time, it laughed at me!
Dont mix grass herbicide with dicamba, it never goes well with the grass herbicide.

Also without reading the label did you have proper adjuvant or oil in?

God Bless America
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexionman575 View Post
So I did a little more research, I do a lot of turf grass and this has me stumped so I thumbed through my books, we have Quackgrass and just call it witchgrass. Callisto/tenacity (mesotrione) won’t kill it. Neither will quinclorac. Nothing selective anyone I know knows of will kill the rhizomes. mesotrione will turn it white and make you think it’s dead but it always comes back. All three of my manuals say it has to be spot treated with a non selective.
I've been rereading the Accent Q label just for kicks. Interesting, it lists Quackgrass and witchgrass separately. Maybe a regional name they want to be sure is understood? But lists different target heights for the 2, so IDK....I appreciate your time and thoughts, thank you.

My best guess is it was a little too tall, and yet also stressed/ not growing well from the BS weather we've been having.
I noticed the same thing. As well as two different scientific names for quackgrass. The only other thing to look into would be armezon but it’s super expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page