The Combine Forum banner

Round leaved mallow control

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ZEEMAN 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

I have a small patch of round leaved mallow in a grass pasture. Last year I just had some express and 2,4-D left over in the sprayer so I hit it with that.

Seemed to brown it off good but it came back again this year.

Looked through the blue book but don't see it listed on any residual products. Never dealt with it before and wondering what works good?

#2 ·
How small of a patch? Did it come back from the same roots or just from seed? You'll probably have to spray it a number of times and keep it from going to seed.

We deal with it all the time, but not in a grass pasture. In-crop usually we can keep it under control with most of the in-crop herbicides and then for best control a good heavy dose of roundup in the fall as it's going to seed. Just spot spraying at 2-3l/ac, around the borders of fields is where it's a problem for us. My dad has been known to go out with a shovel and spend all afternoon picking the stuff.

In other countries they eat the mallow seed pods. It's funny but I've seen round-leaved mallow all over the world, in just about every country I've visited.

#3 ·
Hi Torriem.

It's probably 2-3 acres or so. Bigger patch than I feel like tackling by hand. Never seen it before here. There's a few thistles in the field also so might try some metsulfuron methyl and 2,4-D or Grazon and see how it does. Don't really want to use glyphosate or the thistles and scentless chamomile will take over.

#4 ·
Round leaved mallow seems to flourish when it doesn't have competition, like after harvest in stubble. Maybe you don't graze that area for a year and let the grass(hopefully) choke it out? Maybe throw a chem app in there and let the grass finish it off.

I heard the seeds last for a hundred years or something, so probably a weed we need to get used to...

#5 ·
We have dealt with round leaf mallow for years due to previous manure use. The seeds last for 100 years in the soil and therefore the control takes years to drain the seed bank. The best control is with chemicals with a high rate of 2-4 D and fluroxipur. Some of the best control without residual is Attain and Enforcer D. If you have it in crop land that the weed has gotten away from you should use preharvest roundup to inactivate the seeds. We spray dirt road edges if it is there because it will just migrate into the field. To many farmers ignore this weed till it is a big problem. Unfortunately this problem does not go away quickly so it is best to prevent it from becoming a problem. It is a real problem when trying to grow lentils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.