Melting 46-0-0 set-ups - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This tank is 2.2m diameter, at 15deg C water temperature I melt 4ton urea in 12000 litres water. 4" pump 3"hoses bottom tank outlet. Next job will be to Venturi in some air for a quicker mix

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1464155336842.jpg (802.4 KB, 66 views)
SWFarmService likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
This tank is 2.2m diameter, at 15deg C water temperature I melt 4ton urea in 12000 litres water. 4" pump 3"hoses bottom tank outlet. Next job will be to Venturi in some air for a quicker mix
Thank you for digging up this thread! lots of good info here!

God Bless America
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4659 Post(s)
Quote:
I melt 4ton urea in 12000 litres water.
So you end up with 16 t of 11.5% N?
That about as high a stable solution as you can chance when made by this method?
What total volume do you end up with, curious how much specific gravity is raised?
16/total volume in cubes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 AM

Your right Don, 11% would be about the best you could do @ 15 deg. We top dress here between June and August, I'm guessing the average temperature of our water is 12 deg by then , so my main mix is approximately 2t of SOA fines plus 1.2t prilled Urea. The SOA is a lot easier to dissolve, we like to use it early on our sandier soils. Later on after flag leaf , we switch to a urea only brew. In wheat the urea would be mixed with copper and a fungicide, hopefully to keep the protein up.
madsnake likes this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:43 AM
bud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Your right Don, 11% would be about the best you could do @ 15 deg. We top dress here between June and August, I'm guessing the average temperature of our water is 12 deg by then , so my main mix is approximately 2t of SOA fines plus 1.2t prilled Urea. The SOA is a lot easier to dissolve, we like to use it early on our sandier soils. Later on after flag leaf , we switch to a urea only brew. In wheat the urea would be mixed with copper and a fungicide, hopefully to keep the protein up.
At 11% can you spray that straight onto the crop, or do you still have to mix/dilute it with more water when you add to the sprayer?
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
N is taken up by the roots, not the leaves. You will get a flash appearance thru foliage. Seems like a lot of work just to dump N on the ground.
Ridge likes this.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
At 11% can you spray that straight onto the crop, or do you still have to mix/dilute it with more water when you add to the sprayer?
I sprayed my 10% solution directly on the crop with flat fan nozzles at milk/soft dough stage with no leaf damage.

I did hear someone mention a possible component in offshore urea called bi-urea??? that causes leaf burn. Domestic product has this removed apparently. I have not been able to confirm this to see whether it is correct or not. Not sure how you would know whether your product is safe if you did not know the exact source. Maybe someone knows more?

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
N is taken up by the roots, not the leaves. You will get a flash appearance thru foliage. Seems like a lot of work just to dump N on the ground.
The research I've read has shown a small amount can be taken into the plant, greater the leaf area the more uptake. Any urea missing or dripping off the leaf would be available for root uptake.
We are in a lower yielding area , so are in crop N applications are low and very seasonal. Melting urea would not be practical if you're using rates of 100kg/ha or greater over large areas.
Sulphate of ammonia fines are difficult to spread , so I find it practical to melt it and spray it 40m wide.
Herbicides and trace elements can also be added to the brew, this reduces the number of passes per season.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Seen this topic quite a while ago, never did this though. Other than a foliar spray would be impractical for us to side dress as the amount applied would involve a LOT of liquid. Got me to thinking how it would work to make a UAN solution, but guessing it would be very hard to get the 34-0-0 needed. Wouldn't be hard to do if you had the right set up, a way to heat water to about 200F along with plenty of agitation.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 PM

Location: Adolphustown, Ontario, Canada , which is on North Shore Lake Ontario
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We have been dissolving 6,000 KG into a 4,000 US gal tank , circulating with a 3" honda pump + air . We end up with approx 1.6 lbs N per US gal.
For application onto wheat we dissolve 3,800 kg into the 4,000 gal tank and end up with approx 1 lb of N per gal.
UAN to Urea cost per lb of N this season is almost $.08/lb for us , so there is a $ saving and that is putting $500 / batch is for mixing costs , tank and pump use.
We are actually putting our 2nd and 3rd pass N on our wheat with flat fans , we have trimmed 20 lbs of N per acre and maintaining and improving yields in our winter wheat . Last season's trials with same lbs of N streamed vs foliar showed a dramatic difference in protein in our soft red , to a point that we were told to blend it down since it was too high .
So far this season we have dissolved just over 120 mt.

bussard and SWMan like this.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page