Melting 46-0-0 set-ups - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Melting 46-0-0 set-ups

Hi guys just wondering what kinda set-ups guys are using or heard of people using for melting 46-0-0 to liquid? Best kinda pump, hopper tanks and suck from bottom and chew up fert and circulate? Tricks for melting/heating tank?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Anyone?

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

think we might try and go with a 6,000 imp gallon plastic cone hopper tank. Fill part with water then start augering 10 ton 46-0-0 and use a honda trash pump or look at stainless pump? suck from the bottom of tank and return to top of tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I'm sure Kevin hruska does this give him a call at bridgeview manufacturing someone there might help!
I've read somthing in an Agri trend book too so maybe contact them! Hope this helps
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Patrick's is a really nice guy, doesn't mind living on the edge experimentally!

Last edited by Don Boles; 05-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Here's a video of someone

I know there other videos and some were posted on this site recently, but I cant find them right now. I goofed and did not bookmark them.

The larger pump you use, the better. If you have a 3" or even a 4" pump and plumbing, that will work faster. Things will ice up while melting.

I personally would rather see one incorporate the prills into a stream of water, than just dumping into the top. If you can sort of slurry the mix in a small tank while loading the larger tank, that would help. Not completely slurry it, but use a pre-melting/incorporating tank ahead of the main tank to get the process started with vigorous agitation. Think of it like an inductor on your sprayer.

When I worked for a liquid fertlizer plant many years ago, they had a large I think it was a 5" electric powered pump and inside the vat was a mechanical agitator that was off to the side. While pumping the solution one way to get it going around the tank, the agitator would then spin in the opposite direction,meeting the solution head on. Really caused a lot of violent agitation and melted the urea quickly. But that was a professional facility geared for high production.

One can get a similar effect with some creative plumbing and a large pump or pump(s).

IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Location: Adolphustown, Ontario, Canada , which is on North Shore Lake Ontario
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We are just in testing phase of dissolving urea in water and doing test strips with it before we go whole hog with it.
We rigged up an old 250gal chemical tote with a bottom draw and installed a 2" bulkhead in top of it as a return . Presently using a 2" honda pump to recirculate .
I took the formula that Patrick Fabian talks about in his video and divided it by 4 .
It takes about 25 to 30 mins of recirculation to dissolve 500 kg of Urea in 165 gals water if the water is warm to the touch , and 45 to 50 mins with well water that is cold.
So far we have tried the solution @ 5GPA , 7.5GPA and 10 GPA all cut with approx 3 to 1 water (15 GPA , 22.5 GPA and 30GPA total solution ) on both winter wheat and grass hay and things look quite promising as far as crop health and growth. We are going to try some at a 2 to 1 ratio in next day or so and also some with herbicide and fungicide .

Mark
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM
farmerleach

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerleach View Post
Perfect. Thanks for finding that. That agitator disk is quite similar to the one used at the plant I worked at. It is a very interesting piece of equipment. It actually does more agitation than a paddle type, yet nearly no splashing. I think the Tesla turbine had an influence on the design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:16 PM

Location: Adolphustown, Ontario, Canada , which is on North Shore Lake Ontario
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What does the agitator disc look like and do they take much HP.

I have a older 1200 gal Stainless bulk milk tank that I was thinking of converting to a mixing tank if this melted Urea works out the way people say it does.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page