The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Sprayers / Chemicals / Fertilizer (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/20-sprayers-chemicals-fertilizer/)
-   -   Recirculating Boom?? (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/20-sprayers-chemicals-fertilizer/80705-recirculating-boom.html)

draww8 07-11-2013 04:10 PM

Recirculating Boom??

Lately have been thinking about recirculating booms. Does anyone run them? Likes, dislikes?
To me, it would solve a lot of issues with chemical hangup issues in boom plumbing. We have not had trouble this year, because we have been so anal about cleaning lately. As a producer with our own JD high clearance, I may spray wheat for a week or two with the same chemical and it is a pain to rinse boom out every night ( I don't), or charge boom the next day.
Even though we have stainless pipes, there is a couple miles of rubber hose feeding those pipes. I think chemical sitting in the hose tends to stick over time.
I think a recirculating boom would help. At the end of the day, I could just run some rinse water thru the boom and push that back into the tank. Then the next day I could recirculate tank and boom together, and start spraying right away with no boom charging needed.
I realize the nozzle bodies would either have to be an AIM type solenoid, or an air operated check valve( Like Hypro has available ). And you would probably have the boom pipe in two long sections on each half. An electric operated valve could be at each end with piping returning to the tank.
With these type of nozzle bodies, you could make up as many auto sections as you want and the size you want them to be.
Other than added complexity, what does everyone think of a sprayer set up like that?
I sure would like one. (I think)

mbfarmer 07-11-2013 06:14 PM

I got it and love it. Mine uses air for nozzle control. Haven't had a crop damage issue in five years with it.

rusty1 07-11-2013 06:50 PM

I know a guy that did his 4830, I don't think he needed air valves on each nozzle but just put in heavier non drip valve springs so the nozzles don't open as easy. Put a dump valve on the end of each section and it works well.
I would like to do my sprayer too but don't know whether to spend money on this one or wait til I can afford to changeover. We have a lot of odd shaped fields, I would love to have individual nozzle control, every year we see our overlap showing up in one crop or another.

Russ

Don Boles 07-11-2013 07:19 PM

I love the idea but having trouble with thinking through the execution?:confused:
Say you have 10 sections, you have 20 place to cycle back to the tank?
Unless we're think something different draw8 the hydro end boom caps are just for eliminating air in the lines to prevent run on and lag.
How is your's setup mb?

doorknob 07-11-2013 08:13 PM

I have been studying up on the deere VRS system. It uses vacuum instead of pressure.

gv 07-11-2013 08:52 PM

68 Attachment(s)
Hardi have a system called prime flow.

draww8 07-12-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Boles (Post 668321)
I love the idea but having trouble with thinking through the execution?:confused:
Say you have 10 sections, you have 20 place to cycle back to the tank?
Unless we're think something different draw8 the hydro end boom caps are just for eliminating air in the lines to prevent run on and lag.

What if left and right were each full length halves. Valves that could return flow to tank, placed at each end. Controlable nozzle bodies (air or electric) could make up whatever section sizes you want. ( i think)

KWO 07-12-2013 04:02 AM

Rogater have an air flush system
End of the day just empty the boom with air then because there is no water to push out it primes straight away next time

Nozzle Guy 07-12-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draww8 (Post 668025)
Lately have been thinking about recirculating booms. Does anyone run them? Likes, dislikes?

Other than added complexity, what does everyone think of a sprayer set up like that?
I sure would like one. (I think)

Main concern for me is pressure drop along the boom. At high flow rates or low pressures, boom pressure at pump side could be 10 psi (guess) higher than at return end.

See tables: Pressure Loss in Schedule 40 Steel Pipes

mbfarmer 07-12-2013 08:13 PM

My boom only recirculates when the main control switch is off. Chemical is run back into the tank from the end of each boom. Pretty simple but nice for rinsing and charging the booms.