AIM - Nozzles for spraying Liberty and other weed spray chemicals - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
AIM - Nozzles for spraying Liberty and other weed spray chemicals

Looking at going to the AIM system. Been looking at wilger nozzles and trying to decide which model. I see Bayer recomends <350 micron. Searching through the tip calculator it seems SR nozzles are as big as I can go to stick to 350 micron and even at that has pressure up to 70 psi. Will I be unhappy with the drift control of SR's? I am running ABJs right now and have been fairly happy with them, but not sure what the droplet size of them would be for a comparison.

I spray 10 gpa liberty btw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Westman we went with the twin turo teejet with our aim system this year and really liked the coverage and drift control. If you drop the pressure to 18-20psi for the outside rounds you get great drift control. I normally try operate at around 35-50 psi which gives you great coverage. This nozzle sprayes forward and backwards. An 06 is the biggest you can buy. When we need to put on higher water rates I go with a turbo teejet 03 in the front non aim nozzle and the twin turbo teejet 06 in the aim and spray with both nozzles at the same time. This gives me 3 streams of spray comming out of the sprayer at one time which provides great coverage.

Last edited by SouthernSK; 09-01-2013 at 05:46 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM
TheCombineForum Forum Sponsor

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
Looking at going to the AIM system. Been looking at wilger nozzles and trying to decide which model. I see Bayer recomends <350 micron. Searching through the tip calculator it seems SR nozzles are as big as I can go to stick to 350 micron and even at that has pressure up to 70 psi. Will I be unhappy with the drift control of SR's? I am running ABJs right now and have been fairly happy with them, but not sure what the droplet size of them would be for a comparison.

I spray 10 gpa liberty btw
Hey Westman,

First off, I definitely think you'll like your AIM system. Congrats on a new purchase.

I am guessing you'd be spraying around the 10-15 MPH, so it gets difficult for a single spray tip to control the droplet size effectively at those speeds.

As far as having an approximate best droplet size, you are right on the mark. For liberty, generally somewhere between 330-390 microns is where you'd want to be. Also, Liberty seems to be a little lighter in wind (think of powdered soap in the wind), so definitely adjust based on wind conditions. You know your land better than anyone else, and you know the conditions you have to work with.

Just like SouthernSK had noted, if using one tip would mean either having to put pressures up higher than we want to operate (ie. 70 PSI like you were mentioning), or slowing down (which we also do not want to do, as there is only so much time you have to spray). To combat the situation, there are dual tip nozzles.

For example, for the wilger tips, you'd be able to use a dual-tip adaptor, which simply attaches to the nozzle body and allows you to customize your droplet sizes that way as well.

Take a look at the picture for what the dual adaptor would look like.

As you seem to be familiar with using the Wilger Tip Wizard, I'll walk you through on how you'd be looking to choose your tips.

So, currently, you are looking to get 10 GPA Liberty, with a VMD (Volume Median Droplet - the middle point of the droplet distribution) of 350 microns. I am going to assume you are looking to travel between 12-15 MPH as well.

If you used those specs into the tip calculator, you'd probably be recommended to use:

SR 110-08; which at 73 PSI would allow you to travel anywhere between 3.6-28.6 MPH, giving you a VMD of 351 microns.

As far as the drift control of this tip goes, you would be experiencing around 18% of your droplets being less than 200 microns, which is quite low for a flatfan nozzle.

As far as the droplet size goes, notice that 81% of the droplets are going to be smaller than 600 microns. 600 microns is generally the size of droplets that would be too big to stick to the plant consistently. So, 19% (100-81%) might be too big to really stick well to the plant.

As you had already came to the conclusion, this is not that great of a tip to use. It would perform well at the speeds you'd be travelling, but you likely won't want to be operating at pressures above 70 PSI.

The second option you were probably recommended would have been the SR 110-06.
PRESSURE:52 PSI definitely workable speed
SPEED RANGE: 2.4-19.1 MPH a speed range which might be alright - see note below
Droplet VMD: 349 right where you want to be
% of Droplets < 200 microns: 20 % Good drift reduction without sacrifising droplet size
% of Droplets > 600 microns: 91% Again, only ~9% of droplets would be too big to deposit correctly (of course without considering the droplet breaking into smaller droplets upon touch-down)

Not too bad of a choice, but it is limiting you on speed.

With the AIM system, the premise is that the spray will be pulsing to enable consistent application through a range of speeds. However, for the pulsing to be effective, try to stay within the 80-85% of the speed range. That allows the AIM system to have a good spray pattern and pulse. If you were operating at speeds near 100% of the speed range, your spray pattern would literally be a consistent spray, and there would be no pulsing.

So, now that we would know what kind of tips could work, it'd be worth it to use that information to get an application that works perfectly for your needs.

Your needs:
10 GPA of Liberty
Good Coverage
Minimize Drift similar to Air Bubble Jet tips.

So, if you were wanting to use a dual-tip layout. We would want to find out what types of tips we would want to use.

Since we were recommended SR 110-06s and 110-08s, we could think if we were going to use a dual tip adaptor, we would be looking somewhere in the range of two SR 110-03s or -04s; but, if you wanted to be sure, you could simply use the tip wizard to search for a tip for 5 GPA of liberty. Since the flow is metered at the tip, if you use two tips that would be giving half the volume, it would put out the same volume (ie. a 10 gallon tip would put out the same volume as two 5 gallon tips)

Using the following criteria for choosing a tip with blended pulse in tipwizard, you will get the following recommendations:

DR 110-025 @ 60 PSI 4.5-18 MPH (18% < 200 microns; 91% < 600 microns)
MR 110-03 @ 44 PSI 4.6-18.1 MPH (18% < 200 microns; 91% < 600 microns)
SR 110-05 @ 34 PSI 6.5-26.1 MPH (18% < 200 microns; 91% < 600 microns)

So, overall, within those choices, I'd probably be looking to recommend the dual SR 110-05s, as you'd be well within the 80% of the speed range for your AIM command, you are still getting the same functional spray as an ABJ.(ABJ would be the same results as our MR series)

Even though that would solve your needs, you can always play around with the application to suite your environment better.

For example, if you are usually spraying into a head wind, you might want to spray with an MR series in the front of the dual adaptor, and an SR in the back, so the MR acts as a wind screen for the smaller droplets in the back, etc.

Also, if you were trying to use the turbulence of the front tip to give access to below the canopy, you could use a heavier spray in the back, so it will give better penetration.

Nonetheless, there are a great deal more options for nearly any application. If you have any more questions, definitely let me know.

I am just joining the community to help out with any questions about spraying technology, be it wilger products or otherwise. Give me a hollar if you'd like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
thanks wilger, I sent you a PM
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As Wilger Industries says, I also agree. I currently run a MR 110-04 in the front and a MR110-02 behind on the twin body. Putting down 10gpa at 15 mph with Liberty at around 55 psi.. Getting GREAT kills and drift is reasonable.

here kitty kitty kitty!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 PM
TheCombineForum Forum Sponsor

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
thanks wilger, I sent you a PM
Gotcha back. Definitely let me know if you have any more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgreen View Post
As Wilger Industries says, I also agree. I currently run a MR 110-04 in the front and a MR110-02 behind on the twin body. Putting down 10gpa at 15 mph with Liberty at around 55 psi.. Getting GREAT kills and drift is reasonable.
Good stuff. When these new machines are going 15-23 MPH (yeah, I know a few who don't slow down to even 20), you have to compensate somehow. It doesn't make sense to put down 15 GPA with one tip while going that speed. You either have to run two nozzle bodies at once, or use a dual tip adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page