90 foot scale.. - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
90 foot scale..

Has anyone ever built their own scale?? I am seriously wondering how difficult this is. I mean it looks like steel I beam, piles and load cells to me. I am thinking of ordering appropriate I beams and have plates welded on and then bolted together to forum 3 x 30' sections= 90 ft. ,then cover it in Steel . I will do this after the foundation is in place. I can have piles drilled and pour myself and then put it all together with the load cells.. All you have to do is have it certified by the feds after that. I seriously do not feel like paying that kind of money for something that looks like it can be done with a little ingenuity. Need a size of I beam that im trying to spec right now. Any thoughts or comments? Also is 10' wide enough? Some think it isnt , but I think if you cant stay on a 10' scale you shouldn't be driving

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Re: 90 foot scale..

If you go to a 12ft or wider you could weigh grain carts and combines. Keep it in the middle of an empty space if you can then you can get oversized on it. I would also have it above ground, much easier to work on and such. The nice thing about a sunken one is you could drive on any angle. Only need to be certified for trade. If your just weighing for rough knowledge it should be close enough. Dont know what it costs to certify.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
bud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Width of scale needed depends on if the I beam is above the scale deck on the sides or below the scale deck and how long of an approach to and from the scale you have. The I beam above the scale should have a 12' wide scale because it takes trucks a long time to get straight inline if the approach is not long enough and when exiting the scale the truck can start to turn away sooner on a wider scale.

A deck above scale can be narrower, because you can hang a wheel off the edge and not hurt anything. The I beam above the scale deck tends to collect more snow and scratch more aluminum rims on trucks and trailers, but is lower and easier to build.

Local hutterite colony makes most of the scale frames for pacific scale, so I would think you could weld one up yourself if you have a nice level spot to weld and very good equipment to move the pieces around. Not sure if piles would work under a scale. The ones around here have big piers poured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

if you have much wind make sure if you can to go with the wind than cross the wind if you have to actually print tickets off the scale sometime the wind will cause to much variation and you can't print...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:02 AM

Says the guy who isn't driving the truck on the scale all the time
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
gv

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Some of the older elevators here i guess you would call them are only about 3m wide some take a little skill to get onto aswell. Also they are only about 8-9m long. The newer elevators are still about 3m wide but 30m+ long.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Says the guy who isn't driving the truck on the scale all the time

Actually im not old enough or experienced enough to drive the combine yet according to my senior citizen father .. So I do all the grain handling .. Who knows maybe when I'm 60 and he retires at 87 then I will feel sorry for the guy driving on a 10' wide scale.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Yea no doubt we have them fooled there.. My dad hasn't hauled grain from the field in 45 years.. The last time he hauled any grain out of the field was with a 58 chevy 3 tone that held 300 bushels. Could keep up to 2 combines for the most part.. Now he likes to comment on how we cant keep up with 2 tandems at times, and tell us how he used to git er done
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Steve have you ever been to Simpson seeds farm plant? They have a 10" scale with the I beams on top its a b***h to get on and off of. They took out some trees so you can get straight onto it but when you come off there is a house in front and you have to turn 90 degrees about 100 ft out. The first time I had to back up and take the corner wider as my trailer would have hit I honestly don't know how they get super b's off it. So if it is going to be 10' make sure you got lots of room on both ends for turning.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

gonna build it 11' wide I've decided.. 10 feet is fine like others said if its in ground, not so good with the above ground scale tho. Now where did I put that extra bag of money to start building it ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page