Twisting Grain Bed - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twisting Grain Bed

We own a tandem axle truck with a 20ft grain bed and have a bit of a problem with it. We bought the truck, bed and hoist separate and then had them mounted by a local garage that has done quite a few mounts. The problem with the truck is that the bed leans to the right terribly when it is loaded and even some when it is empty. We always load the truck heavy on the left side to even it out and it has helped but the bed still twists when you raise the hoist. The truck has an air-ride suspension on it. If I could go back and do things again i would make sure to buy one with spring suspension. We have had the truck for about 7-8 years and haven't been able to figure it out. We have had a mechanic look at it and he found no leaks or problems with the suspension. We have talked to other people that cant give us much of an answer either. I have been told a leveling valve may help? They just put a T in the hydraulic lines instead of a splitter to split the flow or oil to the two cylinders. Could this cause uneven pressure allowing one cylinder to extend quicker? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because Im stumped. Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Re: Twisting Grain Bed

have you ever had the cylinders checked out it sound like maybe one is bypassing a little we had a old tandem years ago that would do that. also i now this sounds like a dumb ? but are you sure both cylinders are exactly the same if one has a little bigger bore than the other that could do that. have you ever checked to see if you have air in one or the other. i would say raise it to the top block it up and crack the bleeders on them if they have them.just some things to look at good luck let me know what you find.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I dont believe that the cylinders could be different as the hoist came with the bed when we bought it but who knows...crazier things have happened. Ill look at the things you mentioned when I get a chance and let you know. thanks

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
bud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

You can also install levelling valves for each side of the truck. This may help to even out the truck when sitting empty. It sounds like either a suspension issue or a twisted frame because it does not sit level when empty. It just gets more noticable when you lift the box.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 PM

dual leveling valves should fix that if it is a suspension problem. Had an old log trailer a number of years ago that would always lean one way that fixed it. But also fixed me from ever buying anything with neway suspension under it.
Travis
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)

Matt when you engage pto do you airbags empty? they should
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

They do not empty. The truck does have an air dump switch. We have tried raising the hoist with the bags empty and it does help I believe. Is stability the reason the airbags should be empty?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
farmerleach

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Yep.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 PM
nar

Yeah you want to have an air dump it's way more stable.Only bad thing then is if you are dumping where it's real slick and the truck spins because of no traction with no air in the bags. The Ts in the hydraulic lines is normal. Does it still angle to the side once you get it topped out and do both hit the top hard? I guess I am assuming a normal harsh type hoist, what brand is it? If your bed is twisting even empty and one cylinder isn't going up the same I would say it is bypassing internally on one of the cylinders. If the bed itself is straight with the truck but the frame is leaning then that's different. On our older western star we had to redo all the suspension bushings that were wore because it leaned right with a load on. Once you take the bushings off there is even more wear than you think. Replacing them helped a lot, it still wants to lean a little if overloaded.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I had similiar trouble with twin clyinder hoist, one ram had a loose piston.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page