Grain Trailer Help - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grain Trailer Help

We have been looking to upgrade our trucks. We started out looking for a tandem truck but were turned off by the cost for bed/hoist/mounting when you can get into a used semi for about the same price. We are not looking at buying new by any means and want a good used trailer. It will only be used 3 weeks out of the year so not looking for anything expensive. Some trailers we have looked at have small spots that are rusted out on the sides. Can this be repaired? Like i said it wont be used much and all it needs to do is haul wheat without leaking. The elevator is only 5-10 miles away so it wont have a long haul either. Have never owned a trailer before so what should you keep an eye out for when looking at them? And how concerned should I be about rust on them? TIA

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 AM

Re: Grain Trailer Help

depending if your talking about dump or hopper trailer. we have seen on hopper bottoms that if they are starting to rust it is hard to stop. i know they cost more but aluminum is the way to go they will last you a life time. it seems like once a steel one already has holes rusted through it takes alot to stop rust completely. we have owened alot of steel hoppers and they just don't last like the others if you are going to buy a steel one i would try to find one with no holes already rusted through.if ti is just surface rust you can sand blast and repaint and be fine but if already has holes i would stay away from that i think down the road you are going to have a piece of junk. just my two cents buy good luck on whatever you buy. i do agree with you that your money would be better spent on semi than spending alot of money on tandem truck that will only haul half as much.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

I'm solid in the semi camp. If the tractor gets tired, trade it off. If the trailer is tired, trade it off. With the box and hoist truck you are buying a lot of labor (installation) that can't be recovered. So you end up repairing a truck that should be sold.

For trailers, I have the aluminum hoppers. Yes steel hoppers rust, and when they rust through they become pretty cheap. Look at 20 year old aluminums like Timpte, Wilson, and Cornhuskers. They still sell for 50-75% of what they sold for when new. The old steels sell for whatever the tires and brakes are worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You can get a new aluminum Jet or Dakota for around $31k, i've located several good tractors on truck paper for the $5-7k range. I don't know what you are looking to spend but that is the route i would go. You won't save much going used vs new on the trailer and it is nice to have one you know is gonna last. As for trucks the best deal in my opinion is a Freightliner, and I prefer the Detroit 12.7 60 series for overall opporating economics. We have a 41' dakota that we bought new this fall and it trails very nicely, also has lots of hopper clearance and is very well built.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I also say go aluminum i am in the same boat as you and am looking at aliminum trailers. Also not to hijack does anyone here have a 34ft trailer and how do you like it. How much can you haul on one. I am looking at buying a short trailer as we have bin yards that are pretty small and the ease of moving a short trailer would be nicer than a 40 footer i think. Just wondeing if any one has a shorty.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. They have been a big help. We are looking at a CPS 40ft trailer. Has anybody had any experience with them?

Matt
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 AM

the cps is a good trailer. the only thing i would suggest is if is offered i would have the bottom of the hoppers and above the wheels and fifth wheel plate undercoated i know some companies offer this. it would just stop rusting from salt a road grim and wash it often. it will last you a long time if you take care of it. good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Well we ended up doing what we originally thought we didn't want to do (usually happens that way) and decided to buy a new grain trailer. Bought a 40ft CPS hopper bottom trailer. Brought it home today and we will now have to wait til harvest to see how we like it. It seems like finding used trailers that aren't pieces of junk is almost impossible in this area. Also spending about the same amount of money to buy a tandem axle truck and bed didn't make sense for us since we already have one. Plus the cost of having another engine and truck to take care was not attractive when you can haul twice the amount with this trailer. Talked to a mechanic at the place we bought the trailer and he said he was pretty impressed with the heavy construction of the trailer and how it is built. Sounds like we made a good buy...fingers crossed. Thanks to you guys who gave your two cents on the deal. Here are a couple pics:

I have never owned/run trailers before so I would be grateful for any tips on how to maintain the trailer or anything else that I may need to know. It will be going in the shed after this harvest so it will be out of the weather.

Matt
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

When leaving outside (especially in winter) open tarp and gates. Water always seems to find it's way to the gate and freezes shut if you don't....then you have fun. And with tarp closed it is hard to open with snow on it because it is so long. We also grease our trailers every couple thousand KM (1600 Miles).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I went ahead and purchased a 41 ft wilson trailer. I decided if i need a shorter one i can always sell this one and get a shorty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page