Loading air-seeder cart from semi -- need ideas - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Loading air-seeder cart from semi -- need ideas

Looking at logistics for planting season and trying to figure out the best way to load an air-seeder cart (JD 1910) from a semi instead of grain dump trucks.

The cart has an auger system and the existing hopper wont fit under a trailer.

Options:
a) Add auger hopper extension to air cart auger.
b) Add Michel's augers to trailer + wet kit to semi. Unload into air cart auger.
c) Tow a transfer auger/conveyor and unload into air cart auger.
d) Tow a field loader conveyor and unload directly into cart, skipping air cart auger altogether.
e) ????

Any views on which option will be the easiest to work with at a reasonable cost?

Also -- could the Michel's augers option make harvest easier by just pulling up beside the bin-loading auger and not having to set swing auger hopper?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryland View Post
Looking at logistics for planting season and trying to figure out the best way to load an air-seeder cart (JD 1910) from a semi instead of grain dump trucks.

The cart has an auger system and the existing hopper wont fit under a trailer.

Options:
a) Add auger hopper extension to air cart auger.
b) Add Michel's augers to trailer + wet kit to semi. Unload into air cart auger.
c) Tow a transfer auger/conveyor and unload into air cart auger.
d) Tow a field loader conveyor and unload directly into cart, skipping air cart auger altogether.
e) ????

Any views on which option will be the easiest to work with at a reasonable cost?

Also -- could the Michel's augers option make harvest easier by just pulling up beside the bin-loading auger and not having to set swing auger hopper?
I'd vote B. We use the Micheal's augers. 8" Keep up easily to the 10" "user friendly " auger on a flexicoil cart. Decent fill times, about 20 minutes from tractor stopped to tractor moving again on a 430 bushel cart.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My vote is B. Tried A, that's a joke. Tried C that's an even bigger joke. Haven't tried D, to expensive and doesn't seem real "handy". B just works good, plan to setup another trailer with michels for next year.
Landon7174 likes this.

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
I vote B as well. My only caution would be the type of trailer you might have for clearance with the Michels auger.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
I used "C" for one field. And that was enough to convince me tandems and end dumps are the way to go. Used "D" for half a season when I found out where the center of gravity on my BG cart was higher than I thought and a new auger was a couple weeks away. What a pain having to move another unit around.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Don't bother with "A", you will not be happy.
"B" is a great choice but skip the wet kit and use the carts hydraulics.
"C" and "D" just don't work very well, especially if you are alone. You would need electric trap openers for your trailer to make this option work well.
Another option, although the most expensive of the bunch would be the televeyor express that mounts in place of your existing auger. Very fast and very simple to set up.
One thing to watch if you go the Michels augers is watch your ground clearance going over approaches, don't want to be bending them up. Don't ask me how I know!

David.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Has anyone used or looked at the haukaas trailer conveyors? I like the looks of them, would not loosed any clearance and it would clean right out every time. Also then if you needed to haul a load or two in they would not affect dumping at an elevator. The Michels augers are kind of a pain to use at an elevator. Trailer Conveyor - Haukaas Manufacturing Limited
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
that conveyor looks very handy. If it would keep up with a 13 auger i would use it at harvest.
morb1lee likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
D is what I do. Tow it behind the tandem. Set up once and just keep driving under it until the truck is empty. Never start the truck unless I have to go home for seed. Will be putting remote hoppers on the trailer, but hasn't really been that bad without them. Fill a 430bu cart alone in 10 minutes from leaving the cab to getting back in. Haven't used the cart auger once in 1100ac of rye seeding this fall. It will probably be taken off for spring.

Last I heard the Televeyor Express was as slow as an 8 inch auger. Maybe they have changed it because it sure looks handy.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
These guys got the right idea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page