Your Ideal Dryer Set-up? - The Combine Forum
 286Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SWMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Killarney, MB
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Your Ideal Dryer Set-up?

I'm looking for input here on how you guys would set up a grain drying system if you had to do it basically from scratch. The system I am thinking is probably going to have to be in the 20,000 bushels per day if I were doing corn with one combine. Yeah I don't grow corn but I am starting to do some research just in case.

So currently I have a yard with 400 amp service that is two rows of 20-25,000 bushel bins that oppose eachother about 200' apart. One row is not completed so there is room on the end to put a dryer and hopper bins. This yard has 3-phase and natural gas 3/4 of a mile away. I have heard it may be 50K to bury gas in but not sure about power? My other yard is not close to either and it has a somewhat poorer layout, but it is where I live so handier...

I am told a dryer that can do 16,000 bushels a day takes a 300 amp breaker so my current 400 amp service will need an expensive upgrade by the time bin fans and a grain pump are going. If upgrading I probably should go straight to 3-phase or a gen-set? If gen-set what size is required to run a large dryer?

I would want to set something that does not require baby-sitting and will keep up to a large combine, maybe that is 30,000 per day but I am not sure I have the trucking to reach that level. Probably size this thing to exceed anything I may ever do in wheat or canola and do partial days in corn? Have to be careful about building something that looks way under-sized in 10 years...

So I'm wondering about:
>Dryer type/brand/size?
>Layout?
>Spend the extra to bury in gas?
>Power source/requirements?

Any and all pertinent comments appreciated. Could be 1000 acres of corn or more I guess if that matters.


AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
SWMan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vermilion Alberta Canada
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I'm looking for input here on how you guys would set up a grain drying system if you had to do it basically from scratch. The system I am thinking is probably going to have to be in the 20,000 bushels per day if I were doing corn with one combine. Yeah I don't grow corn but I am starting to do some research just in case.

So currently I have a yard with 400 amp service that is two rows of 20-25,000 bushel bins that oppose eachother about 200' apart. One row is not completed so there is room on the end to put a dryer and hopper bins. This yard has 3-phase and natural gas 3/4 of a mile away. I have heard it may be 50K to bury gas in but not sure about power? My other yard is not close to either and it has a somewhat poorer layout, but it is where I live so handier...

I am told a dryer that can do 16,000 bushels a day takes a 300 amp breaker so my current 400 amp service will need an expensive upgrade by the time bin fans and a grain pump are going. If upgrading I probably should go straight to 3-phase or a gen-set? If gen-set what size is required to run a large dryer?

I would want to set something that does not require baby-sitting and will keep up to a large combine, maybe that is 30,000 per day but I am not sure I have the trucking to reach that level. Probably size this thing to exceed anything I may ever do in wheat or canola and do partial days in corn? Have to be careful about building something that looks way under-sized in 10 years...

So I'm wondering about:
>Dryer type/brand/size?
>Layout?
>Spend the extra to bury in gas?
>Power source/requirements?

Any and all pertinent comments appreciated. Could be 1000 acres of corn or more I guess if that matters.
Your first question to yourself is do you want to dry as fast as you can combine as you stated, or do you want to dry slower after using storage as your buffer. If storage then moving grain logistics is more important then the dryer.

Automated completely (doesn't exist completely) or will someone be hired to watch the dryer full time while harvesting?

BrianTee is online now  
post #3 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I have looked at way smaller scale than you have and guess reason why not putting one in is inability to utilize current infrastructure and/or extra cost of building setup from scratch. It would seem like your existing stuff could be used, but think with size you looking at if you thinking you do not have trucking power you likely have to consider some sort of leg set up such that you do not need even more trkg capacity to move grain around yard. This and for other reasons you point out above means that believe you have to go 3phase. Also, would not think at scale you going at that could consider anything other than natural gas as note my mickey mouse bin heater that running on propane is not nearly efficient enough to consider that as viable fuel option. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
brazil08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SWMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Killarney, MB
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Your first question to yourself is do you want to dry as fast as you can combine as you stated, or do you want to dry slower after using storage as your buffer. If storage then moving grain logistics is more important then the dryer.

Automated completely (doesn't exist completely) or will someone be hired to watch the dryer full time while harvesting?
Probably keep up for today which someday will become to small. That's usually how it works. So maybe 150 bu/acre corn becomes 250 bu/acre someday???

I want something automated, do not want to baby-sit!

My thoughts were two large hopper bins for wet bins and also two for dry bins, then pumped to large flat bottoms. I really am just guessing at this point, never had a dryer before.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
SWMan is online now  
post #5 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Central Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Any chance of moving the dryer setup to the nat gas and 3 phase or maybe buying a 3 phase generator for the dryer setup for you existing yard.
sasksodbuster is offline  
post #6 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
V876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Sask
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
My ideal dryer set up is sunshine and wind
wheatking, ilbar, thorpy and 5 others like this.

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V876 is offline  
post #7 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SWMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Killarney, MB
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasksodbuster View Post
Any chance of moving the dryer setup to the nat gas and 3 phase or maybe buying a 3 phase generator for the dryer setup for you existing yard.
Yes. I own the land right by the power and gas. Could start from scratch(again) but then would need to haul all grain or move the 20,000 bushel bins to new foundations which could be done I guess. My thought was to use an air pump to fill all those existing bins if needed, maybe build a very large corn bin as well. I have probably 90 bushels/acre storage now though, probably don't need a whole lot more unless the corn acres really take off.

Probably by the time you level a site and plant trees and gravel it you would have been money well spent to drop 100K(guess) to get it to the existing yard.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
SWMan is online now  
post #8 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: east central Mn.
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
your at a different scale then me but the end result is the same. here is the setup I went with. had many farmers and truckers give me advice. leave space around dryer and wet bin for expansion of legs and stuff. I brought in a 600 amp single amp service for future growth. also started out with augers but left lots of room for legs and pits to be brought in later.

what size wet bin are you thinking? i would be thinking if a wet bin roughly the size of what your daily production. dryer can run at night while you sleep. we have a 3k bushel wet bin if we start out empty in the morning we can have it filled later that day. then it runs all night to be empty next morning. saved us a lot of money on dryer size. with the scale you are talking a big wet bin with dump pit for trucks and leg for wet bin, big leg out of dryer going to bins, can get over unders for going to bins legs cant reach.

what i learned from the neighbors that have been there done that is you are a lot better off just spending the money if you can to get setup and running organized way vs running augers or air across ways to get to bins. for the capacity you are talking trucks need to get in and out fast.

check out southern Mn. craigs list or grain dealers and huge used dryers are easy to find at a pretty reasonable cost.

the calcu dry system that came with my drier is a dream. later models will have there own version but love it. for the first day or two every time i came in to dump i did a moister test to compare whats coming out of dryer to moister tester to dial the dryer in. after them couple days now its always within a couple tenths. with plenty of safety in place its a leave it run all night system.

for filling from wet bin to dryer there is a paddle switch when it falls it tells wet bin to start filling the dryer, when grain hits the switch it tells the wet bin to stop. but there is also a timer and it it takes to long because the wet bin is empty it shuts down the hole dryer, if the paddle switch fails it will only run for the length of time and then shut down dryer.
on the unload there is a mercury switch, if the auger going from the dryer to bin stalls the auger out of the dryer will flip a lid with a switch to stop dryer.

talk to kieth at gmls industries for site layout and moving grain. he can talk to you about air systems and the power they need, bushels per hour, horse power and all that jazz.

for the acres you are talking i would either clear the spot around the bins you have or move them bins to be close together.


Transaxial and SWMan like this.

Last edited by madcow2.0; 12-16-2016 at 03:04 PM.
madcow2.0 is offline  
post #9 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I want something automated, do not want to baby-sit!
This and dryers doesn't exist yet. You can get automated system and monitor it from your smartphone but there is always something that needs small attention. For example my neighbours this year had to clean the corn fines off their screen dryers, some more often than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
My thoughts were two large hopper bins for wet bins and also two for dry bins, then pumped to large flat bottoms. I really am just guessing at this point, never had a dryer before.
There is so many options with grain pumps, legs, or blower/vacs. In your example you could drop it hot into the two hoppers, use them to cool it and then transfer it to its final resting place. I know there is several guys on this forum that have lot of experience.

For the capacity your talking don't even think about doing it on propane, you want nat gas period. Your probably looking at 30g to hook up then the distance they have to trench it. I have heard (unverified) numbers to the tune of 50-60g per mile. They seem to have the attitude that if you want gas you need to pay for it. Once you have gas then you can look at a nat gas 3 phase 600v genset which from my math is actually very similar cost to getting power off the grid just have to eat the cost of the genset itself. That may change when you add Trudeau tax onto your nat gas bill. You won't get a big enough dryer if your limited to single phase. Your not that far from 3 phase either but its another big cost then you run into "demand" rates if your a high user.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
Jason Hildebrand is offline  
post #10 of 484 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:00 PM
HI!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Three Hills/Trochu, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4680 Post(s)
The sun.

8700 likes this.
Don Boles is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome