Smallest tractor you've successfully run a swing auger with? - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
Some thing to keep in mind

The output of an engine turns opposite of a PTO (an exception are some 2 cycle Detroit's) this might work in your favor if you are mounting your engine under the auger and running your drive shaft towards the intake end of the auger.

It is easer to carry the power fast. So if you are carrying the power at 2100 rpm and gearing it down at the auger end the drive shaft would be much lighter and smaller than if you gear it down at the engine and carry the power to the end of at the auger at 500 rpm.
I was hoping that the PTO runs opposite of the engine direction, because I do plan on mounting it backwards this way there is much less hardware, and yeah that's a good point about carrying the power, so to speak, because I do plan on getting rpm down at the very end, basically with sprockets.

So I was hoping to pick up these two engines today, bid all the way up to $14K, and gave up, some guy really wanted these things! They would have worked perfect for this project and would have save me a ton of time as they are exactly what I needed. But at $7500 per engine after fees was just too much
out bid on RB engines
I guess I will use my 6BT cummins engine, but it is over powered, I would like a 4BT, but they are difficult to find, I think a 4BT cummins would handle a 13" auger (and hydraulic pump), no?

Last edited by hihi962; 04-26-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
That's what we use on ours. But it also did snowblower duty last winter and the occasional 20' disking during sunflower harvest.
The thing is, I want no tractor, so I can move the swing 270deg, this way b-trains can drive perpendicular to the auger, saving time and clutches, and also my yard is wayyy too small to be backing b-trains up to augers, I can barely navigate a tandem axel straight trailer in my yard into a swing auger.

post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Thanks for the thread hihi ,these build projects entertain me for hours .Everyone has their own vision they are comfortable with but if it was my project I would lean to the Hydrostatic drive ,maybe a big double pump with one segment to run the auger and the other to run lift ,move ,swing and anything else .It is easy to dream when you are spending someone else's money .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page