Alberta farm plates going into Saskatchewan - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
If you run clear fuel why the fuel permit?
That would be their road tax for him using their roads just in case he doesnít buy fuel in Montana.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbar View Post
That would be their road tax for him using their roads just in case he doesnít buy fuel in Montana.
Interesting.
Does the apply just between states as well?

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting.
Does the apply just between states as well?
That Iím not sure. Actually I am just speculating why the fuel permit is needed for Montana. In the future I foresee toll systems at the border like they have in BC that take a photograph of your license plate and send you a bill in the mail for using their new road/bridge. The BC ones so far only charge BC residents so car rental companies run Alberta license plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have not been into Montana since Saskatchewan has implemented the automatic 25% road tax on our died diesel. They have no sense of he haw so I doubt they would let us run the dyed. Both the port director and the guy who issued the fuel permit warned me about the dyed fuel, no more than 4 parts per million dyed fuel in the system!!

Note: fuel cards will not dispense dyed fuel in non home provinces. So fuel up as close to the Saskatchewan border as possible
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 02:34 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
I have not been into Montana since Saskatchewan has implemented the automatic 25% road tax on our died diesel. They have no sense of he haw so I doubt they would let us run the dyed. Both the port director and the guy who issued the fuel permit warned me about the dyed fuel, no more than 4 parts per million dyed fuel in the system!
I'm puzzled, SK government put a 25% duty on dyed fuel?
What is the point of the dyed fuel?

4 parts per million?
200 ml in 500 liters!
One would never get that low after 1 tank of dyed!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
The more I have tried to learn about all this out of province or state, the murkier it gets. Not saying you can't do it, but there are so many "different opinions and rules". One huge difference is if you are hauling your own product on your own truck and are a farmer you get to go in most provinces and states. Provided you follow the log book rules, your truck is reasonably good and safe, and you follow the fuel tax regime in whatever state you run in. Each state wants their share of fuel tax based on fuel bought and miles run on their roads and it is up to you to document it and submit the money you didn't spend in their state. I just drove my farm plated truck and step deck into Minot one time on my way to pu a disc in southern ND and voluntarily went to the scale there the next morning to make sure I was doing everything right. As I walked into the scale an overweight guy with a thin line moustach says "I can see from here you are in violation of Federal law"! No DOT number posted on the truck, no name sign, no fuel trip permit setup, and on and on. Fortunately for me the sheriff was busy with a fatality accident and the scale guy said he would let me go if a bought a log book and fixed a sign on my doors. Walked to a nearby Walmart and got fixed up, got my disc, drove home a different way and never heard any more about it. Years later I looked into getting set up to haul a tractor from Arkansas. I might as well have been a 1000 truck company and would have still been filling out forms to start hauling and once you are signed up it is a federal offence to not submit paperwork saying you did not haul anything. A perfect job creation program. I don't know if I got bad info but I just hired a local Arkansas trucker and was glad to pay him to do all the paperwork. He had to have permits for all 5 states he drove in, which he did, but one little thing was missed in his Montana permit and they pulled him over at the Alberta inspection station north of Coutts and read him the riot act. Almost gave him a $700 ticket but he convinced them it was the error of the company he had obtaining his permits. What a nightmare of paperwork and unproductive, unreasonable people in this society. My experience is not good but lots of farmers do haul to other jurisdictions regularly so I guess you just have to ask lots of questions and take some reasonable steps to stay on the right side of the law. As I said, hauling your own product on your own truck seems to make a huge difference in what you can do.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm puzzled, SK government put a 25% duty on dyed fuel?
What is the point of the dyed fuel?

4 parts per million?
200 ml in 500 liters!
One would never get that low after 1 tank of dyed!
It’s not really a new tax but you only get 75% of your dyed fuel rebate compared to last year before the provincial budget was passed. So dyed diesel got 3 cents a liter more expensive. Dyed gasoline was also completely taken away.

Last edited by D Wesselingh; 02-04-2018 at 04:06 PM.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Do American truckers pay carbon tax in Canada? Probably only if they buy fuel here. What about a tourist? Can they get their carbon tax back when they cross the border?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:25 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Wesselingh View Post
Itís not really a new tax but you only get 75% of your dyed fuel rebate compared to last year before the provincial budget was passed. So dyed diesel got 3 cents a liter more expensive. Dyed gasoline was also completely taken away.
I see, thanks.
Think UFA sees the writing on the wall for dyed gas, Recent card lock installations with even 40 hoses will only have one dyed fuel hose.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
To make sure I did not have any dyed fuel in the truck I drained both tanks, shut the cross over valve off so I was only using the draw tank. Changed the fuel filters and added clear fuel. Ran the truck for a few minuties drained the tank again and filled added enough fuel to get close to the border, then filled right up with clear.

All that for 500km in Saskatchewan and 50 km in Montana. I should have went down with two trucks and lest one near the border and used it only in Montana.

After expenses we put a dollar a bushel in our pockets, but with the dot number and all the other stuff it is a hassle, thank goodness the elevator company did the import paper work.

We did get a DOT audit, a guy came up here from California and was conducting audits of Saskatchewan company's with truck traveling to the US. He can to our farm and sat at our kitchen table and went over our paper work!!

Talk about make work projects!!
All was well, helped that I am a papered truck and transport mechanic when it came to inspection paper work. He printed copies and let us back date them for his files.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page